lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
markups09
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1973 Caroche help

I just got this cart have about 400 invested total and have no clue what I'm doing. First things first I need a good wiring diagram, and maybe someone smarter than me who doesn't mind me bouncing rookie questions of them. Next the whole reason I got this was to make a cheap stealth hunting buggie. I have ag tires fire the back and some aggressive tread for the front. I just came to the realization that parts for this antique might get real pricey so do I just get it running and part ways with it. I'm not real sure if I can't get a lift or other mods for it. Web searches haven't turned up a ton just yet. Can anybody offer some ideas or suggestions will post pics later today.
markups09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1973 Caroche help

It sounds like you have already figured out you have gotten a 40 year old cart with not much going for it in the way of aftermarket stuff or performance parts being available. Get it running and sell it at the local trailer park or campground. Some people like these carts for their antique appeal, I suggest for hunting you get something a little more updated
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
markups09
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

It's hard to convince yourself of that without it coming out of someone else's mouth first thanks your thoughts are appreciated
Old 04-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
markups09
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

So brief update I wired the cart up just a couple hours ago, I opened up garage door first and I'm happy I did because when I put it in gear it just took off without hitting the accelerator . So I checked reverse and sure enough same result. I'm new to electric carts any thoughts? Does seem that it should be too complicated but then gain that's a complete rookie saying that.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Before the experts jump in can I guess and see what i have learned.
I have never worked on an electric cart.
1 broken resister coil
2 solenoid faulty or not activted
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
markups09
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks doomsman I will look into that solenoid as for the coil any idea the proper way to test it cause I don't lol. I'm a rookie to electric too, my biggest fear is burning something up with stupidity or ignorance. I really thought and I'm not sure what I'm basing it on no real info that I gathered but my own basic thought process as related to electrical work that it would be the accelerator being wired to a constant power source. That being said I don't have a key for any of the wiring diagrams that I have so I can't tell exactly which wire is which and not all of the components are labeled either and the accelerator is one of them of course.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
monepit
Getting Wild
Club Car

I can't believe I'm the expert but 20 years of ownership and a total tear down and restore of a Caroche and being an electrician gets me close. It could be a couple things. First, mine has had a problem with the throttle sticking before. If you remove one of the cup holders on the front there is a round piece with wires going to it And a linkage going to the pedal. There is an adjustment on it where you can lessen the pedal response. A lot of times you can pull up on the pedal and it will turn off. Also the first solenoid of the five may be stuck. That is the one that activates the four others for the 4 speeds. It can be other things but those are the two I have found with mine. First I would try pulling up on the pedal and see if that stops it. If that doesn't you can remove one of the little wires from the first solenoid. That would be the one on the right if you are standing in front of the cart looking at it. If you remove the wire and it still does it it is probably a bad solenoid.
monepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
markups09
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks monepit the pedal worked great I looked at it from underneath it first to see what the linkage for the pedal looked like and realized it had a little rod that wasn't connected. Took the cup holder out and saw that the round wheel with wires has a broken piece I'm assuming some type of arm that runs to pedal linkage. Then I tested it by manually switching it while driving and it worked fine so I guess for now I can try to carbon fiber bond it to linkage unless somebody knows where to find one. I have to laugh because I don't even know what it was called if I wanted to order it from somewhere.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
monepit
Getting Wild
Club Car

Glad to help. You will probably have to rebuild the brakes too. The good news is the parts are all available. These carts are bulletproof with a little maintenance. I fully restored mine and customized it. It is really cool. The earlier post is correct. You have to love them because there are few custom parts and repair parts are a lot harder to find and more expensive. The DS is great for parts and customizing. I like mine because they are simple, a lot of torque and you will have a cart that no one else has.
monepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #10
markups09
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

My breaks work the fitting on the wheel cylinder leaks slowly seems but it does stop.parking break doesn't work I don't believe but I do want to redo them it will just be a money issue cause right now I have 3 deep cycle marines running it and I want to get 6 6v instead. But any idea if I can get that round thing for the throttle anywhere?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car