lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
Dragracer
Not Yet Wild

Default Towing

I have a 1979 EZGO Marathon I believe. As you can see from my screen name, I'm into drag racing and going to use this as a track vehicle and to tow my car after a run. Would some info on upgrade more for battery life AND towing then speed.
From what I've seen here, I have a:79J01

- 36 volt cart, 2 HP "series" motor that is "resistor" controlled. From the wiring diagrams, it's pretty basic, but I'm far better with the "fossil burners" then the electrics. I do have a VERY smart buddy who is all over the electric scene and has the worlds fastest 24 volt drag bike. So his time and energy will certainly help.

I plan on running 22" on it and other mods, but would like to show as I go. I have cleaned the motor tag up, and this is what I got:

MOD: 5BC48JB644B (then says) 2800
HP: 2 (then says) 36 (then) A55
Time rating: 60 min (then) 40 (then) B
Would: Serial (then) 48 (then) 3122

Serial Number: DRN

Now from what I have seen on here, It's better for longer run time to use 6 volts over 8's and 12 volt batteries. I'm leaning towards 48 volts and sending the motor to EMP to "2" speed it. I will upgrade ALL the wires as it came with welding wire for cables anyway (the guy who sold it to me is the service guy for a major welding shop, so he gave me whatever cable I need, or WILL NEED ).

So other then that, what "should" I do? I like the resistor idea as there are so many less parts.

BTW, where can I get parts for this? Can any Marathon parts interchange with my year as I've seen some later models?

Thanks, John
Dragracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Towing

Resistor are not the best choice for towing... They work by wasting amps. Each resistor is a little different in size and length so each 'wastes' a different amount of amps. This wasting creates heat the resistors will get very hot especially at extended low speed (and for towing = ) Besides each speed is a full drain on the pack no matter the speed selected the resistors waste the appropriate amount....Hence to development of the solid state speed controller.The controller acts as a valve letting only as many amps as called for to flow to the motor..Upgrade to 48v and controller IMO
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Dragracer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. My buddy just emailed me, and want to "play" with a few ideas he has. He does the starters and alt. in my cars, and does the motor windings too. I guess he wants to use mine motor and play with 96 volts with anew controller he and someone has on the market. I guess the controller switches as well from 36 to 48 to 72 to 96 as you push the pedal more. Controller is about a grand, and he'll give me what batteries he wants me to try. I have put a budget on the motor/speed/torque mods of 2 grand.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you are on your way! Hopefully you will keep us posted as to the parts used and the results attained! We would like to learn more about your buddies ideas!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
Dragracer
Not Yet Wild

Will do. I told him I would like the "option" of doing wheelies, he said, and I quote, "THAT WON'T BE AN OPTION"! I might also get it to do burn-outs, but we'll see on that. I know the 24 volt bike went 13.52 with "free acid" batteries, whatever they are???

I know this, he has a 48 volt motor, that run 2000 RPM, has 310 ft/lbs torque and 124 HP, but needs 50,000 volts
Old 09-13-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
Dragracer
Not Yet Wild

Ok back for a bit. Been busy at work and haven't done much on the cart. I did talk to my buddy and he has these crazy "billet" motors,but the will only run for 10-15 seconds. More drag racing type deals.

I will let him look at my stock, 36 volt motor, and he can do what he wants. I'm leaving the build up to him. He's the "Amphead" and I'm the "fossil burner" as he says.

Will keep up with what we are doing, but not really going to do much till the new year and just start gathering parts.

John
Old 09-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #7
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

I would be very interested in this. I have a 72 volt cart myself. Can we get some info on the controller that has varing volts. The stock rear end will give you plenty of torque beleive me. I still have it in mine and I get about 20' wheel stands out of it.

http://media.putfile.com/Andys-Bonanza-video
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #8
Dragracer
Not Yet Wild

Here's what his email said:

"The switching motors is another way of saying going from 4pole (torque) to two pole (speed) (think that is how it is going). Changing the poles will do one or the other.

WE was also formulating a controller to convert from 36volt to 72-96volts. (4x power (hp & torque) and huge wheelies) By varying the voltage you can go from regular power to NOS fogger type power.

Last I heard it was going to operate normal as long as you kept your foot out of it. So the gas pedal from zero to 3/4 of the way down was regular golf cart. Put it to the mat and hang on for dear life.

Upgrading to higher voltage is a little more expensive. You have to buy a new battery set, which you do already. I can get you a deal on the batteries and there is also a supplier near London that might even be cheaper than me.

You will need a new controller, which we were trying to build for under $1000. You should be fine with your old motor, or we can go through it our shop.

Welcome to the world of Ampheads."

Well keep you guys updated as we go. As for batteries, I'm talking to one of my car sponsor (NAPA) to get them, but seems the numbers for the batteries are different here in Canada. Not sure if I should go with 6 or 8 volt? I'm thinking 8 volts and get 10/12 of them?
Old 09-13-2008, 06:54 PM   #9
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

If you are going with that much battery go with some 12 volts. I run 6 -12 volts in the 72 volt cart. They are three years old now and still stand the cart straight up on take off.

Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO