lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Dhenryjr
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default 2005 Precedent - surges

Great forum, I have looked over this forum for an idea to my issue and nothing really exactly matches up to my problem, so if this seems like a 'here we go again' kind of post, bear with me.

2005 Club Car Precedent (PQ0552-xxxxx)
4 Club Car 12v batteries

When driving the cart i get 12 to 13 mph via my GPS, but at that speed the motor seems to surge or hesitate momentarily then revs back up, this happens about every 10 to 15 seconds after about the first 1 minute of travel. There isnt a loss of speed on the GPS.

At first I assumed it was some sort of speed governor but then noticed that other have identified similar issues.

I have done the roll test to see if its the speed sensor, key on, switch in forward, push the cart, it rolls freely for maybe 3 feet, the the buzzer comes on and it creates resistance.

I have reset the OBC following the directions here. At this point Im about to break down and haul it to the CC dealer, but thought I would give this forum a shot.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated

Thanks
Dhenryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
driver33b
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2005 Precedent - surges

Hi and welcome to BGW!

Most of the remedies you mention are the same that I went through as my 4x12v were slowly nearing failure...2009 and 2011.

The OBC seems to 'store' power requirements in a flash memory system and calculate and re-calculate what power is available and how and when to supply it. My personal interpretation of this is that as the volts/amps fall off the OBC gets a little boggled in its application of the power.....resulting in mixed messages for delivery of the power.

I replaced my 4x12v with 6x8v and have a smooth healthy cart again...batteries are the only thing I changed...this leads me to believe my statements above. (see my conversion http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...onversion.html here).

Maybe this is what is going on with your cart. Good luck....I love my cart the way it is now, only because it performs consistently to my expectations.

Hope you get some more informative replies.
driver33b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
Dhenryjr
Getting Wild
Club Car

A little more exploration on my initial post. I checked the batteries fully charged right off the charger.

12.20 Bat 1
12.18 Bat 2
12.18 Bat 3
12.39 Bat 4
Pack total 48.9

Ran the car full speed (is when i notice the peoblem) for about 1 mile and returned to garage and rechecked the batteries

12.18 Bat 1
12.02 Bat 2
12.06 Bat 3
12.28 Bat 4

Pack Total 47.9

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Old 05-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
gadavis
Gone Wild

With those voltage readings, you will get surging. The fact that the voltage is that low makes the cart run like a gasoline engine starving for fuel. The other day we had 2 doing that at the golf course where I work and it turned out the A.C. current circuit breaker had tripped and the chargers on both carts did not come on. Cart monkey pulled them up for use for the next day and they were not charged well. We had to go out on the course and tow them in. They ran like they were trying to backfire except they were electric. The pack voltage on them was showing 47.5 at rest.

We also have had a couple that would surge when the speed sensors were failing, but would still pass the roll away from standing test. gene Davis
gadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Gene is correct in his assumption, but I'll add another possibility as well. The MCOR. The MCOR (Motor Controller Output Regulator) is a small black box located under the floormat right next to the GO pedal. It emits a frequency to the controller to tell it how much power to put out to the motor. When the MCOR fails, the frequency fluctuated and causes the car to surge. This can be checked with a multimeter.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Dhenryjr
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thank you both for the feedback, I of course would love to wait another year to replace the batteries if I can. What would a proper pack voltage read?

The MCOR is something that I can check, I did find someone posted the procedure here to check it with the multi meter.

If it is the MCOR how easy is that to change? (I did order a new 2005 Precedent Repair Manual off ebay earlier this week)
Old 05-03-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
driver33b
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quite straight forward. I replaced my MCOR not knowing what was causing my surges/speed variations.....it didn't seem to make much difference, it still did it, MAYBE to a lesser extent??? I used a genuine CC part and it had detailed instructions complete with a Gcor/Mcor ventilation instructions leaflet with it (how and where to drill some holes)....even has the brake pedal adjustment detail....good instruction for ongoing maintenance.

4yr old Trojan T1275s we're in the cart when I bought it...they lasted another 8mths. When I first got the cart in March 08 they held 50.8 overnight (12.68 12.61 12.76 12.7 after about 14mths. of golf 3 times a week, the surges started...I replaced the MCOR...the batteries on July 4th 09 were running at 50.2v (12.59 12.61 12.39 12.5 they went down to 49.4v (12.15 12.37 12.45 12.66) by August, the fun began...10.5 13.1 12.4 12.6....11.1 12.8 12.2 12.4 clearly #1 battery was having real problems and passing the current on to #2....Time to replace them.

I went the cheapo path and put 4x135amp Supreme Deep Cycles in. (9/4/09). I 'considered' the 6x8v road...(and wish I had gone down it). When my new 12v batteries went in they were....51.4v 12.9v 12.8v 12.7v 12.8v the cart ran fine for about 18mths. At the 18mth. mark they deteriorated, the speed 'thing' started again....when you flattened it to take off, sometimes it would leave in hare mode, sometimes in turtle mode...and of course if you HAD to move quickly it would always be the turtle mode! At Oct.11th 2011 they were 50.3 (12.7 12.5 12.6 12.5)....on Oct 12 they were at 47v (12.1 11.9 12.1 10.9 ) after golf....they charged up again to 50.4v (12.6 12.12.7 12.6 12.5)...I knew they were struggling the yellow light was coming on before 9 holes of golf were completed...it got around the 18 but only just!

I bit the bullet and put the 6x8v in and have what seems like a new cart. I couldn't be happier.
driver33b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
Dhenryjr
Getting Wild
Club Car

Smile Re: 2005 Precedent - surges

Well a few weeks ago and 1,700.00 later, i have this issue resolved. I had the CC Dealer do the following.

1. Converted the cart from 4-12v (black club car/trojans) batteries to 6-8v (Trojan) batteries, the conversion included the club car battery bucket, rewiring the bucket, a new obc.

2. Because of the coversion, I had a Club Car 48v to 12v converter installed to power up my after market light kit.

3. Pick up and delivery (60 miles round trip)

4. Set the speed to code 3

Overall, im happy with the improvement in performance and runtime. With new battery pack, my next project is to buy Scotty's meter so my wife knows when to plug it in.

Thanks for all of the ideas and suggestions.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #9
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhenryjr View Post
Well a few weeks ago and 1,700.00 later, i have this issue resolved. I had the CC Dealer do the following.

4. Set the speed to code 3

Overall, im happy with the improvement in performance and runtime. With new battery pack, my next project is to buy Scotty's meter so my wife knows when to plug it in.

Thanks for all of the ideas and suggestions.
. . speed code 3 or 4?

. . . also, just tell wife to plug it in every time she parks it . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
Dhenryjr
Getting Wild
Club Car

It was set to speed code 2 when i purchased it, I didnt want it at speed code 4 (well yes i did!) but, we have alot of hills in our condo community and i was concerned about my 4 year old grandson riding on a cart that can go that fast. (actually 3 is pretty fast considering his safety).

When he is a few years older, a new motor will be installed to perk things up a bit

Tags
club car, precedent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car