lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
travis gunter
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default First time build...Should be an adventure

I have been lurking around and reading a lot of posts over the last couple of weeks. I have been given a 2003 EZGO TXT cart with a everything stock on the cart, however the cart's electrical was neglected. It is a 36 volt PDS system from what I can tell and after reading a lot of the good information on this forum. I plan to lift (6" Jakes w/22 tires) and modify this cart to a custom status. I started today on this project and got through the following picture.

I will have a lot of questions as I go, so hopefully you guys/gals will be patient.

First questions are : If I decide to change the cart to a voltage system, is the batteries, controller, F/R switch, solenoid, and wiring (To 4 ga. at minimum) all I have to change? Do I have to change the motor as well?

If I decide to stay with 36V and upgrade to a 500 amp programable controller just in case I want to change voltage later, other than the soleniod, do I need to change anything else?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buggiesgonewildpic1.JPG (38.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Buggiesgonewildpic2.JPG (38.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Buggiesgonewildpic3.JPG (43.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Buggiesgonewildpic4.JPG (40.8 KB, 54 views)
travis gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
sak00
What was I thinking?

Mixed Breed

Default Re: First time build...Should be an adventure

I'm not sure on a PDS motor. I know your can run a series motor on 48v. Somebody will be along shortly to answer that. Otherwise, it sounds like you have the right idea. You will need a 48v battery charger too.
sak00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
as350pilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Send your motor to Plum Quick. First you will know the state of your motor. Second it will be faster, and it WILL run on 48v with no issues.
as350pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis gunter View Post
1. First questions are : If I decide to change the cart to a voltage system, is the batteries, controller, F/R switch, solenoid, and wiring (To 4 ga. at minimum) all I have to change? Do I have to change the motor as well?

2. If I decide to stay with 36V and upgrade to a 500 amp programable controller just in case I want to change voltage later, other than the soleniod, do I need to change anything else?
1. The F/R switch on a PDS cart just tells the controller which direction to spin the motor and won't have to be changed. The stock motor will work @ 48V, but sending it to Plum Quick for some TLC wouldn't hurt.

2. The high current circuit in a PDS cart consists of ten high current cables, a Solenoid, a Controller and a Motor. The cables ought to be 4Ga or heavier regardless of the voltage. Both Solenoid and Controller are available that will operate on 36V-48V. Within reason, the motor runs on current and doesn't care what the voltage is, but is going on ten years old, so the bearings and brushes might need some attention.

Since you are going to be increasing the speed, it might be a good idea to refurbish the steering and brakes.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
travis gunter
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys...this helps a ton with the decisions. I'll keep the pictures coming as I progress...won't be near as fast as the take down was. Probably star another thread on paint and body soon.

Thanks again!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
travis gunter
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

One other question, on the regen motor on the 36V if/when I change the controller will the wires be used coming from the back of the motor or will these be discarded, and when the higher amp controller (400 or 500) are the installation instructions easy to follow when switching these out or does it require a lot of modifying/jumping?

Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: First time build...Should be an adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis gunter View Post
One other question, on the regen motor on the 36V if/when I change the controller will the wires be used coming from the back of the motor or will these be discarded, and when the higher amp controller (400 or 500) are the installation instructions easy to follow when switching these out or does it require a lot of modifying/jumping?

Thanks again.
Very minor points, but the motor is a Sepex (SEParately EXcited - aka Shunt wound). Regen (Regenerative Braking) uses the motor as a generator, but it's controlled by the controller.

The wires coming out of the back of the motor connect the speed (RPM) sensor to the controller and are not used for some of the aftermarket controllers.
However an ingenious person might figure out a way to connect a Tachometer up to them. The output is 8 pulses per Revelation, so just tell the Tach, you've got a V-8

I don't know about the other brands But Alltrax has an interface cable that matches the stock PDS plugs up with the Connector on the controller.

I found this schematic on their site.
http://www.alltraxinc.com/files/Doc1...S-wire-dia.pdf

If you haven't already, check out these upgrade kits.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html
The PDS stuff is about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Other Site Sponsors may have them also, but Scotty's installation instructions and tech support are some of the best.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
travis gunter
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB
Old 02-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey Travis. I am working on my first cart too. I am about at the same position you show in your pictures. Body is off and I am cleaning and evaluateing the rest. Looks like you have a good handle on the situation. But, can you tell me what those red things are in the middle of your cart? Mine didn't come with any of those. :)
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
travis gunter
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Those are about $600+ dollars that's what those are. :-). Batteries you gotta have em at least in my cart! Hahaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO