lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
chevygirl85
Not Yet Wild

Default Carryall I shakes violently in forward and reverse

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and I am hoping that you guys can help me

I work for a college and we have 3 club car carryall I gasoline powered golf carts and I am starting to have so serious problems with one of them. I am not sure the year of this model but the serial code is FG9627-506814.

Just the other day I was told that it didn't seem to be running right so I went to inspect it and just getting the engine running at idle it idles a little rough..then proceeding to push on the gas more and get it moving; it lurches forward (not sure if that's normal or not?) like there is no middle point just idle and extremely fast! and not even going 5 MPH it shakes so violently that I can't imagine trying to take it any faster as I'm afraid it will fall apart right there on the spot on me lol...

I am brand new at working on these club cars or any golf cart for that matter and just wondering if maybe there is a common problem with these or if someone might be able to point me in the right direction so I can diagnose this cart properly.

Thank you in advance for anyone who takes the time to read and respond!
chevygirl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-04-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
a70eliminator
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Carryall I shakes violently in forward and reverse

If it's shaking the steering wheel it could be worn out front end components, a two cylinder engine hitting on one hole shakes pretty bad too, and runs like crap.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Welcome to BGW!

FG9627-xxxxxx It's a 1996

It seems one of the most common problems are that, half, or, all of the butterfly inside the carburetor breaks off.
and as you described, will cause a "no middle point" in RPM's,
and if your lucky, the broken piece of the butterfly may be wedged somewhere, (carb, intake port etc.) causing it to "shake",

Some people have not been so lucky... their butterfly was "gone"! (the engine ate it!)

Give the carb a good outside cleaning, remove, and inspect it, and "IF" the butterfly is still intact,
take the carb apart while it's off the cart, and give it a good cleaning inside, and out!

Hope this helps, and let us know what you find!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FE290 Carb.jpg (31.1 KB, 11 views)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

I know you have already , replaced the gas with fresh (good) to insure no one tampered with it or it has water (after all this is a college).
There is also a Vent hole with a vent tube in the top of the tank , to make sure it is not partially plugged, take the gas cap off while idling.
You can also try spraying a little Carb cleaner, If it purks right up keep spraying in spurts until it starts running normally.
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
chevygirl85
Not Yet Wild

Well low and behold the butterfly is completely gone...lol! Thanks for your help LOCKMAN1 it is much appreciated!! And a70eliminator thanks for the input, I did check out the front end but just seemed way to violent for it to be just front end issues but front end it still in decent shape surprisingly! Now comes the sitting and waiting game for them to decide on getting a new engine for it or just buying another one. I really hope they decide on a new engine cause I would love to keep tinkering around with it!

Thank you again :)
Old 01-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
a70eliminator
Getting Wild
Club Car

I would be awful surprised if they don't go with an electric, our college replaced the entire fleet as part of house bill 57 I think it was, I would estimate close to 50 electric carts some are gems some club cars ez go's workhorses ect, the cushmans have gone by the wayside, everythings green now, the upper eschalange even have the presidential limo in form of a gem, man are those cheaply assembled with chinsy parts, super lightweight though.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Chevygirl85,
I'm glad I could help!... But, why replace the engine?
In most cases... remove the cylinder head, and "try" to find the butterfly, and for sure... replace the carb.
it would be a fraction of the cost, rather then getting a new, or used engine! (or cart)
There's nothing wrong with saving the school some money!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #8
chevygirl85
Not Yet Wild

This is very true that yes I could take the engine apart and figure out what all it needs as I am the mechanic there but they apparently do not like rebuilding much there just would rather replace it :-/ silly I know but it's not my call and I have a feeling this cart has been running like this for a very long time the way it sounds. It wasn't until the boss man made them park it that this problem was finally noticed by higher up and brought to my attention. H_ll they drove around a Kawasaki mule for at least 2 months with a blown head before bringing it to me because the heater didn't work :-/ lol. So the game begins on seeing where they wanna go with the next project
Old 01-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #9
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Maybe they'll give you the cart for free!!!
(wishfull thinking... but, Hey... ya' never know!)

Old 01-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #10
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Lockman1 I'm impressed
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car