lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2018, 07:36 PM   #1
Gsuwhiskers
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 ST350 Workhorse Turning over but not starting

So I have a 2001 EZGO ST350 Workhorse that is turning over but will not actually fire up and start. I noticed it really seemed to be an issue after the humidity was high or it had recently rained (anytime moisture was in the air). It seems that when it was really hot and dry it did fine. However recently it has not done anything. So I decided to replace the plugs and put a new coil pack on it. Well the plugs had no effect and I just got done installing the new coil, but before I did anything tonight, I tried to start it with the old coil on there and it actually fired up but I didn't try to move it since I knew I was going to replace the coil anyway.

Now it is right back to not firing up, and I checked the brand new plugs and they have a decent amount of oil on them. I'm kind of surprised as it hasn't even actually fired up and ran in the five days those plugs have been in there.

Also worth noting is the amount that it was backfiring when it was running, which it has not always done. And final clue for the night, when it fired up this evening for the few seconds it did, the exhaust put out a good bit of smoke. I'm assuming this is from the oil I'm seeing on the spark plugs? I shouldn't be seeing that much oil on the plugs should I? Someone help me out because I'm about ready to burn the thing.
Gsuwhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2018, 07:53 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2001 ST350 Workhorse Turning over but not starting

I would start with setting valve lash to .004"
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:15 PM   #3
Gsuwhiskers
Not Yet Wild

Okay, where can I find out how to do that? I haven't done any engine work on this thing before.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:48 PM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsN6008Zjf4
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:18 AM   #5
Gsuwhiskers
Not Yet Wild

Okay, I watched the video, seems simple enough. I'll try to get my hands on a feeler gauge and give it a go today or tomorrow hopefully. What would make the valves work themselves out of that acceptable range?

Any other ideas on what could be happening?
Old 07-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #6
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Try that first, the cover has an 0 ring so no need for a gasket, just make sure it's in the grove in the cover. I put a little grease on it to stick in.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #7
Gsuwhiskers
Not Yet Wild

Okay, I'll try that.

Also, I took the bracket that holds the coil pack to the motor off so that I could replace the coil pack easier. When I reattached, the top nut got tighter but kept spinning, the threads are staying in place but the nut won't get tight like I think it should. I also noticed the nut between the bracket and the motor spins now. Did I mess anything up here or what is going on?
Old 07-15-2018, 06:59 PM   #8
Gsuwhiskers
Not Yet Wild

Well guys I charged the battery and for the past three days, the buggy has started and ran immediately. So I'm thinking it was possibly a combo of weak battery and igniter. But I have noticed that while driving and going top speed, it will intermittently lose power but not long enough to stop just enough to hiccup and slow down. Any ideas? I still haven't adjusted the valves. I need to do that or at least check them.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO