lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2018, 03:30 PM   #1
tkinche106
Not Yet Wild

Default charging

My 1993 electric club car had weak batteries and charger would never turn off.
Had charger checked out by Club Car dealer they say it charged and turned off for them.
So replaced all 6 batteries with new Trojans. Now with new batteries, Charger will run for 18 hours and not turn off. Any suggestions?
Thanks
tkinche106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: charging

What kind of charger is it?
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:36 AM   #3
crash test dummy

new batteries can take up to 20 hours on first charge
attached is a battery guide for newbies (PDF DOWLOAD
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery Guide (1).pdf (45.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
tkinche106
Not Yet Wild

Club Car Ultra Power II
Old 07-01-2018, 06:31 PM   #5
tkinche106
Not Yet Wild

a couple of weeks have past and the same problem continues. charger does not turn off.
Suggestions on what part in the cart could be defective? The Charge indicator does not show fully charged after a night of charging. After disconnecting and reconnecting the indicator supply wire from the battery it then shows fully charged. But I do not think the charger is looking for info from this indicator light....am I correct?
thanks
Old 07-01-2018, 06:43 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Right from the Manual. And there is nothing on your cart like an OBC. You have a fully automated charger.

As long as the charger is allowed to shut off by itself, the batteries should be fully charged. If the CHARGER ON light has not shut off, the batteries are not fully charged. If possible, allow the charger to complete its charge cycle before disconnecting the charger from the vehicle.

Light Display:
The Ultra-Power II features a range indicator that consists of three red lights and a manual stop button.
This feature gives an indication of the vehicle's expected range as well as providing a diagnostic tool.
The three red lights are labeled 18 HOLES, 36 HOLES, and FULL RANGE. These lights will be illuminated as
the on-charge voltage reaches the predetermined thresholds. When the charger shuts off after a normal
charge cycle, the red CHARGER ON light will turn off, but the range indicator lights will remain on until the
charger is unplugged from the vehicle. Anywhere from zero to three red lights will be on.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/64...?page=6#manual
Old 07-02-2018, 08:52 AM   #7
tkinche106
Not Yet Wild

that is all true but the Club Car dealer did say that my 18 hole, 36 hole and full range lights were not working. They claim the charger did charge and turn off when fully charged. MY main question is can the my charger OVER charge my batteries and if so what is the result?
Old 07-02-2018, 02:40 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Did you click on the link and read the manual I provided for you above..... It is an automated charger and you said it has already been tested to work correctly. New batteries have needed over 20 hours before to completely charge. They have to season or break-in. If the charger is working correctly, you need to let it charge until it has completed its cycle.

Again, all this information is in the manual link posted above.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:37 PM   #9
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I bet the charger is bypassed to where it runs non-stop because those with the 'range indicator' were notorious for failing, and the board for these is upwards in the $400 range, and many just rig the relay to run full-on all the time being cheapskates. This is also a 36V charger, and I'm curious, is yours a 36V car or a 48V car?
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
tkinche106
Not Yet Wild

well the charger has run non stop for 24 hours.....still running. DID NOT turn off automatically no matter what the MANUAL said.
My cart is a 36 volt. And I have owned it and the charger for over 20 years. The charger did fall off the shelf recently (about 18-24 inch fall onto concrete) and since then the indicator lights(18 holes, 36 holes, Full Range) stopped working. That's when I took the charger to the dealer to have it tested and got the" it works fine even without the lights." It never turned off with my old 5 year old batteries and assumed
that was the reason. Now with new batteries (less than one month old) it still does not turn off. Just looking for a solution.....would like to leave it plugged in when not in use for long periods like next week when I leave for 2 weeks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car