lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2017, 03:58 PM   #1
Biggs2733
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Club Car Precedent i2 Excel Speed Upgrade Suggestions

I have been reading through this site for the past few days now (learned a lot of great info from people here), and I have a few questions regarding a speed upgrade and would like suggestions on which way would be best to speed up my 2013 Club Car Precedent to around 20 mph or more with stock tires (Serial number starting with "PH" so it is the i2 Excel system). Everything on cart is stock by the way.

So the top 3 methods I have gathered to get more speed on the i2 Excel systems are:

1. Take cart to dealer and get the Speed Code 4 applied to golf cart, this can speed up the cart roughly to 19 mph. Has anyone done this? I have heard good and bad things. Some say it only speeds up the cart around 2-3 mph.

2. The Plum Quick Motor upgrade. I assume this would require me to take out my existing and send to Plum Quick and let them work their magic?

3. Purchase an XCT 300 Alltrax Controller that I can adjust the speed and setting with a software through my own laptop. This method seems to be the best but is also the most expensive. Is this truly a plug and play solution that works with all other parts being stock?

I am relatively new to this golf cart thing and not the most "tech savvy" when it comes to all the ins and outs of golf carts. Just wanted a few expert opinions and suggestions on which of these methods would be recommended. I use my cart for playing golf mostly. Cart runs around 13 mph now and looking to get around 20 mph. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Biggs2733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Club Car Precedent i2 Excel Speed Upgrade Suggestions

Welcome to BGW
I have a 2014 Precedent I had the code 4 put in the controller and it did increase top speed to 19 mph but power was the same and acceleration felt like it was from a tightly wound rubber band.... you had to get going to really get going sort of thing.
Anyway I had no intention of leaving that in just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I slapped a XCT300 controller in and the cart came to life. Pedal response & power increased noticeably and top speed was 24 mph.
Then I put a new speed motor in it.
It is doing burnouts on the dirt road
and broke the 30 mph marker.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #3
Biggs2733
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the reply Scotty!

I've heard nothing but good things from that controller. What is the effect to the batteries adding that controller? My batteries are around 3 years old, they are the PD+ (I think those are the batteries that come in most Club Cars now?)

Does the controller lower run time on each charge?
Is the controller all I need for a quick fix to my speed problems? no other parts?
Where is a good place to purchase this controller?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #4
Courtlandjs
Gone Wild
Club Car

Scottyb what motor?
Courtlandjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:15 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs2733 View Post
Thanks for the reply Scotty!

I've heard nothing but good things from that controller. What is the effect to the batteries adding that controller? My batteries are around 3 years old, they are the PD+ (I think those are the batteries that come in most Club Cars now?)

Does the controller lower run time on each charge?
Is the controller all I need for a quick fix to my speed problems? no other parts?
Where is a good place to purchase this controller?

Thanks!
hard to say maybe 10% less total run time but, so many variables like driving habits. If you are conservative you may see no reduction.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

there are only two sources that you should consider when buying an XCT controller.
One is the man who has been helping you to this point, Mr scottyb at Carts Unlimited the other is Dave at Revolution Golf Cars.
Both are site sponsors and will give you unrivaled customer service....
Heck, scotty already has given you excellent customer service and you aren't even a customer....YET!
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:44 PM   #7
Biggs2733
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I've been on Scotty's website looking at everything so I may become a customer real soon!
Old 06-07-2017, 06:24 PM   #8
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

The value you get from Scotty and Dave and their advice here on the boards makes becoming a customer very easy.

You can't buy that kind of experience and customer service.
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:32 PM   #9
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

" The cart I have now has upgrades that I'm still trying to figure out". I have a stock motor, a battery pack that two batteries are failing on. On a fresh charge, after 12 hr rest, volt meter reading 51.2V, My cart will reach 27 mph GPS before I run out of a straight way.
I assume that I have speed code 4 plus the speed limiter disabled?
There is a lot you can do to a stock cart for more speed.

My near future plans is to purchase a 4-500 amp controller, upgrade motor and cables.
I want Torque plus speed. I don't care about 30+ mph but close to that will work.
Battery pack will have to be replaced so, I'm looking at a lot of coin to do all of this. I will do it in steps.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
" The cart I have now has upgrades that I'm still trying to figure out". I have a stock motor, a battery pack that two batteries are failing on. On a fresh charge, after 12 hr rest, volt meter reading 51.2V, My cart will reach 27 mph GPS before I run out of a straight way.
I assume that I have speed code 4 plus the speed limiter disabled?
There is a lot you can do to a stock cart for more speed.

My near future plans is to purchase a 4-500 amp controller, upgrade motor and cables.
I want Torque plus speed. I don't care about 30+ mph but close to that will work.
Battery pack will have to be replaced so, I'm looking at a lot of coin to do all of this. I will do it in steps.
The original controller is so small (225a) that a 400a control unleashes the motor pretty good and it makes more torque and 23 mph on 18" tires. Plus you can run an aftermarket motor on it later ~ all that without breaking the bank.

Tags
club car, excel, speed upgrades
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car