lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2017, 07:43 PM   #1
ds46000
Not Yet Wild

Default 2011 Precedent 48V to 12V reducer help

I am in the process of installing the RecPro (similar to the madjax from what I can tell) headlight & tail light light kit on my 2011 Precedent.

I also purchased a RecPro 48 to 12V converter, but there are no instructions and I have searched for help but there's a lot of conflicting info.

Can I mount this in the dash, using the 48V black & red leads (that are supposed to go to the Volt Meter)? I do not have a volt meter, so those wires are not being used. If the answer to that is NO because the reducer would always be ON, could I wire in the reducer through the key-switch, so it's only on when the key is on? If so, what wires would I need to connect, and where?

If I can't use those black/red dash wires, should I place it some other location? There's not much room in the battery well, but I was thinking MAYBE i could fit it along the front side of the well above the charge receptacle. Or can I attach it to the outside of the metal cover that covers the electronic components in the back of the battery well?

Just FYI: I have no desire to install any other accessories on the cart (no radio, volt meters, etc).

Thanks in advance for the help.
ds46000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2011 Precedent 48V to 12V reducer help

You really should not wire through those wires as they were not intended to carry any load... It is not hard to run a suitable sized pair of wires from the dash area to the rear of the cart and make the proper connections.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
Night life
Gone Wild

Club Car

I installed my reducer in front of the middle battery (8 volt setup) and ran 14 gauge wires (3 of them) to the dash area.

You could also just run 2 wires there and mount the reducer in the dash, 3rd wire to key switch.

Those wires you mentioned are 18/20 gauge if I had to guess. I would run new wires!
Night life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:05 PM   #4
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

Read thru this thread
Some good info

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...r-blew-up.html
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:08 PM   #5
ds46000
Not Yet Wild

Ok thanks guys. Just to add a bit more, in the instructions for the kit (which appear to be exactly word for word the same instructions for the madjax kit), it says to

"Seperate the voltage reducer disconnects (Picture 1) in the light wire harness and install a 10 or 20A voltage reducer in the circuit. Mount the voltage reducer in the dash area or another area of your choice"

I have looked and looked at Picture 1 and can see no voltage reducer leads, but it sounds like they are already there in the harness for just this very reason.

Does anyone happen to know which wires are the voltage reducer leads in the dash light wiring harness from the madjax kit? Seems like that would be the simplest way to go about it, if they are already there.

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:37 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I'd love to help you, but I'm not familiar with the RecPro reducer. Pics would be a huge help here. If I could see pics I'd be able to tell you what to do.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #8
ds46000
Not Yet Wild

I dont know if that worked. If you go to Supernight Voltage Reducer on Amazon, it shows up. Its the 10A one. For around $17
Old 01-13-2017, 09:52 PM   #9
ds46000
Not Yet Wild

Thanks TahoeDawg. I got the link to work, just click it should take you right to it. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-13-2017, 10:00 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Looks pretty straightforward. 48 Volts input + and -. 12 Volts output + and -. I'd mount it on the battery bucket under the seat. Run 48V+ to the positive post of battery #1 with the red wire feeding the solenoid, Run 48V- to the yellow bullet connector towards the back of the battery bucket on the drivers side. You may have to cut the bullet off and use a yellow butt connector unless you have a male bullet to crimp onto the end of the black wire on your reducer. After you make those two connections you'll need to put the 12V+ wire to the blue wire that runs into your bucket harness under the seat. 12V- will go to the black wire with the yellow male bullet connector coming out of the bucket harness. This should be all you have to do.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car