lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #1
kcc865
Not Yet Wild

Default E.R.I.C. Charger shutting off before full charge cycle

I have a 2014 Club Car Precedent JE127 prefix. Customer came in saying they needed new batteries that their cart wasn't making it around the course anymore. After looking at the batteries and seeing they were 2016 T875 I figured it may be more than a battery issue.
I charged the cart overnight, then unplugged and replugged it back in to top it off in the morning. Upon unplugging the charger after cycle was complete, Battery pack was only showing a voltage of 49.1 Volts.
When charger is plugged in, the charging voltage is reading like it should at the high 50 volt mark.
I know the ERIC chargers eliminated the OBC on these newer models, so for testing purposes I grabbed another ERIC charger off my fleet and let it charge overnight, again same response.
To eliminate any battery issue, we put in a new set of batteries for testing purposes, again shutting off at the 49 volt mark.
I currently have the cart on a discharge machine and from the looks of it, its most likely going to fail that test as well.

My questions is, Does the controller on these carts have anything to do with the
charging cycle since the OBC is built into the ERIC?
kcc865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: E.R.I.C. Charger shutting off before full charge cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcc865 View Post
-snip-
My questions is, Does the controller on these carts have anything to do with the
charging cycle since the OBC is built into the ERIC?
No sir, the ERIC system is a stand alone unit. And at the end of the charge, as it is a high frequency charger, it should be putting out upwards of ~70 volts or so. It is a smart charger so it may see something array with the pack or the algorithm is not correct.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:50 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If I remember right, the factory algorithm for the ERIC should be doing something in the 65- 68v range during the absorption phase, and dropping down to the 56-58v range during the finish phase just before the charger turns off.
They CAN output up to 72v for certain batteries, but I don’t think they are programmed to go that high with the factory algorithm.
This MAY be too high for the T-875 batteries. There are different algorithms that are required for different batteries. Check the charger for the correct algorithm for the Trojan batteries.

I would make sure you have clean connections in the charge terminal, and have clean tight connections at the battery terminals where the charge leads connect. Maybe even cut the eyelet connectors off and strip an inch or so of wire back just to make sure you have clean wire at the ends. Doesn’t take much to get corrosion inside those smaller wires and cause a charging problem.

Since two chargers acted the same way, on two different battery packs, that points to it being something wiring/connection related on the cart.

The controller on the ERIC carts has nothing to do with charging. It does determine charge level to turn the battery light on, but no part of the charging process goes through the controller. That’s all done by the ERIC charger.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
william h
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Mines done this on 3 yr old trojan 875’s dosent seem to make any difference which algorithm i use, its just hit or miss
william h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #5
william h
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Solved all my eric charger problems , and distance limits, and algorithm problems, all done
Old 02-02-2019, 05:18 PM   #6
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by william h View Post
Solved all my eric charger problems , and distance limits, and algorithm problems, all done
How?
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:39 PM   #7
william h
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

traded it for a 2015 club car gasser
Old 02-03-2019, 07:31 AM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by william h View Post
traded it for a 2015 club car gasser
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:58 AM   #9
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

I am not aware of a cart number prefix "J127" in this case, unless that was a 2012 cart.

Can someone please enlighten me on this? I have a quantity of 8 precedents that are 2014's, and all of them start off with "J14xx".

Also is 2014 the year they started using eric chargers on the precedents?
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #10
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

bump
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, club car, eric, precedent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car