lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
Seafarer12
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 02 Pioneer 1200 driveability problem

Hey Guys,
I picked up a pioneer 1200 this week with a FE350 in it. I drove it a little when I bought it and knew it would need a little work. I got to messing with it today and am getting a little stumped. I have messed with cars, trucks, motorcycles, atv's but never messed with gas golfcart engines. The engine takes awhile to fire up but when it does it idles like a sewing machine nice and smooth. When you give it any gas it stalls. The p.o. changed everything going to the carb. I pulled the bowl and it was clean. The gas is good. I gagged the governer spring and that helped. I can chop the throttle a little and get it to rev up and it runs pretty smooth up there but it is like there is no mid range in it. I am having a little trouble with the clutch engaugement which I think is making the problem worse. I was going to pull it and rebuild it. It engauges late and is real harsh. So at the moment the cart is pretty much all or nothing. I was going to pull the carb but I figured I would check before I got half the cart torn apart. Thanks in advance for any help.
Seafarer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Seafarer12
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 02 Pioneer 1200 driveability problem

I checked on some more things the spark isn't bad its a little weak but I an not sure whats good for these things. I didn't have a new plug but the one out of it wasn't too bad, I cleaned it up and put it back in. I am going to get a new plug for it soon. I can tell you the compression is on the weak side. It was running 85 psi. So I can see it being down on power a little.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Welcome to BGW Seafarer12!
It sounds like you have a nice project!

A couple of things...
You said it idles, which tells me it's a Key-start, (rather then pedal-start)
The compression is supposed to be that low! (Automatic Compression Relief)

Next would be the stalling, or no "middle range"...
The intake tube and air box cover should be intact when trying to run it,
if that's all good, check to see if the carb. butterfly is completely there!
(it's common that they break in half, or off all together)
If that's all good, take the carb off, and give it a really good cleaning!

The Drive clutch...
It's a possibility that the buttons and thrust washer are getting worn, or even the weights,
but, when putting it all back together... do NOT lube anything! they're designed to operate dry!

Hope this helps!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Seafarer12
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks,
I was reading the service manual after I posted and it said compression was suppose to be over 71 with acr. I am getting what seams to be a lot of blowby though. I pull the dip stick while idling and there is a lot of pressure. I need to get a strobe from work and check the rpm. I know the acr doesnt cut off till you get to 1100 rpm or so. I have been doing all my testing with the airbox intact. I know these small engines are sensitive to that stuff.

I was going to pull the carb off yesterday but the bowl was hitting the electrical box so I bolted it all back together but that is my next step.

I was probably going to send the driven clutch off to get machined. I need all the low end torque I can get. I might also upgrade the springs while I have them apart. I figure it is just getting worn out. There is no telling how many hours it has on it and the original owner had a concrete plant so it got used.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

The pressure in the crankcase without the dipstick in, may be normal!
When I changed the oil for the fist time in my brand new cart,
I forgot to put the dipstick back in, started it up... and oil shot everywhere!
Hopefully someone else might learn from my mistake!

Keep us updated on your progress!

Old 12-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Seafarer12
Gone Wild
Club Car

Well I pulled the carb and went through it all. The emulsion tube had about a thirs or the holes plugged. I was happy to find a problem. The throttle shaft was a bit stiff going closed but they decided to stake the butterfly screws so I didn't pull it and clean it. I got it on there and got it fired up. It run a litttle better but not as much as I had hoped. The stiff throttle shaft is also not letting the throttle close all the way every time you let off the gas. I just think I am going to start looking for a new carb instead of spending a bunch of time trying to get this one to work. It still stumbles but has more power when it does get going. It is still hard to start and wants to die right off idle it revs better with no load on it but put it in gear and it almost dies. I took it to the end of my drive and it died and I was beginning to thing I was going to have to push it back to my shop.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Seafarer12
Gone Wild
Club Car

I might give it one more shot this weekend. I have a little ultrasonic cleaner I might put it in for a few hours. I am pretty sure my problem is a clogged port in my pilot circuit. There are two ports just before the butterfly for off idle fuel. They are so small though I cant get anything to rod them out. Maybe the ultrasonic cleaner will loosen up the throttle shaft. If not I will have to get a stiffer spring to pull it closed.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
Seafarer12
Gone Wild
Club Car

Well it has 94 views so some people are looking at it even though I am doing most of the talking.
I might have gotten it worked out. After soaking in a heated ultra sonic cleaner I blew it out with some carb cleaner and got a big chunk of crap out of one of the air passages. I put it back on and I have midrange. I haven't driven it yet but I am still getting a sticking throttle. I am going to try cleaning everything up and adjusting the cable and if that doesnt work I will get a stiffer spring.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #9
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Seafarer, nobody is offering suggestions because first off, your not really asking any questions!
I'm thinking whomever is following this thread, (like me) is either waiting for you to get a little further in your progress,
or, because it sounds like you know what your doing, and your on the right track!

I'd be a little more concerned about the sticky butterfly shaft, a stiffer spring may help,
but, did you happen to notice if the butterfly was rubbing on the inside of the throttle body?
If so, the butterfly may eventually break! (see pic below)

If not, the butterfly shaft, or the throttle cable attachment point on top of the carb may be a little bent. (how it got bent is anyone's guess)

Either way, there are no individual replacement parts for these carbs, you just may have to buy a new carb!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 053.JPG (62.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #10
Romrok
Not Yet Wild

Re the carb shaft. I find it happens alot, the carts I service are in dusty conditions, and sometimes when I wash them down with carb cleaner I get a similar sticking. These carts depend on the carb being fully closed to start correctly.
I get a nice fitting screwdriver and slowly turn the screws out of the butterfly, remove the shaft, clean the seat out for the rubber seal, give the shaft a light polish on the wire wheel and reassemble.
A fine blade screwdriver and a tap with a hammer will lock the screws again, dun tap too hard or will bend the shaft a bit and jam it up. If that happens tap from the butterfly end in the shaft center, it will free up again.

Goodluck,
Rom
Romrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car