lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
farmallm1
Not Yet Wild

Default 75 HD run poor in forward

I have 100 PSI in forward 105 PSI in reverse I have replaced jug piston rings crank seals and bearings replaced points replaced gas line and filter belts are new I have set timming in forward and reverse reverse timming mark seams to be off compared to forward i put spark plug tool for setting timming when it stops piston the mark is not in the hole ????
check valve is missing in the tank is this needed runs good in reverse starts good is this valve needed???
runs very strong in reverse will spin tires all day very slow in forward timming makes no difrence for forward in forward up on blocks rpm will come up to about 2000 then stop climbing govener is removed belt seams to slip on driven clutch when brakes applyed has new belt clutch looked ok on engine rebuild I shimed engine mounts to tightn belt no luck
What am I missing thanks for your help
farmallm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Craigs carts
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: 75 HD run poor in forward

check helix on driven clutch
if rollers are trashed or i've even seen them missing will wear grooves and will not operate. usually you will get a chuging feel while moving.
Craigs carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
wurzy
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

I have a 1978 and mine is doing the samething. I would like to what your fix is. Thanks
wurzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Adjust the timing for correct setting in forward a s well as reverse. Compression seems a little high but that may not be a problem. Timing is or can be off. The timing hole should be visible the same forward and reverse.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
Craigs carts
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

as tew says timing is going to be the first thing you want to check. if your sure you've got this correct then look at the clutch.
Craigs carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
wurzy
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Ok I took off drive belt(gates sport line 6312) and it turns over fine without belt and clutch seems to engage fine. I don't know if this is normal but when rpms slow down it sounds like I have dice or something in clutch rattling . I pulled cover off and springs are good something more inside. Also Is it normal for belt when on to try grab right away or should clutch spin a few rotations first.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Make sure the balls, ball stops, and slide strips are in good condition. Inspect the drive cup on the motor drive shaft. Re assemble the clutch and fill with 12 oz. 90 wt gear oil. Did you recheck and adjust the timing? Also inspect the driven clutch. Make sure the clutch belt surfaces are void of grease and oil and the belt is clean. Brake not binding?
And again timing in forward and reverse correct?
Old 05-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
farmallm1
Not Yet Wild

checked timmimg and is set ok in forward and reverse I have replaced ball stop and ball slides they look ok will take apart outher clutch clean inspect it
the check valve in tank is missing will this hurt any thing????
farmallm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
wurzy
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Ok I just got this thing but after looking at manual are you telling me behind drive cup cover where springs are should have had 12 oz of 90w. It was bone dry.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #10
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

There are rubber plugs available for the clutch after you fill it. Be sure the O ring is good enough to hold the 90 weight. I just ordered a new one for my old cart and a spare for stock. The check valve is necessary. I used to get them from $4.95 Water Sports MFG Screened In-Tank Fuel Pickup Dennis Kirk Part #: 1827. The lease expensive o rings were from (Vintage golf cart parts). They will not gig you on freight!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson