lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
propcheck
Not Yet Wild

Default electrical question on amp ratings

Ok, So I am doing the 12v part of the build on my cart and I have a question. Here is my situation I purchased a battery S.O.C. meter and it has a built in relay that converts to 12v. so you can tie in accessories to it and it will kill the accessories when the battery pack gets to 30% charge. My question is this. The radio I want to tie into it is rated for 18w X4 RMS and 50w peak. at the RMS of 18 I get 72w. total and the relay is rated for 3amp/90w Will this work or is the radio going to exceed the amp/watt rating if it hits peak?
propcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
juatinwatokal
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: electrical question on amp ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by propcheck View Post
Ok, So I am doing the 12v part of the build on my cart and I have a question. Here is my situation I purchased a battery S.O.C. meter and it has a built in relay that converts to 12v. so you can tie in accessories to it and it will kill the accessories when the battery pack gets to 30% charge. My question is this. The radio I want to tie into it is rated for 18w X4 RMS and 50w peak. at the RMS of 18 I get 72w. total and the relay is rated for 3amp/90w Will this work or is the radio going to exceed the amp/watt rating if it hits peak?
thinks its directly related to the wattage of the speakers u intend to drive off it
juatinwatokal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

forget about the output wattage... look for the current consumption specification either on the radio or in the manual. if the radio consumes more than a couple of amps, you can use the 3a relay to control another relay with a higher rating. say a standard 30a auto relay.

is the "constant" wire the fat one or the "switched" wire on your radio?
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
propcheck
Not Yet Wild

Ok that sounds like a good innexpensive solution that will solve any potential problems I will just wire my 3a relay to a 15amp relay and that will eliminate any questions then I will have enough room to wire the lights into it also. Thank you for the help.
propcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

np!
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO