lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
junebuggy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Can I put an axle lift and "economy" lift on my 1990 ez-go?

I just bought a 1990 ez-go electric. I'm searching for a lift kit and the largest I found is the 4" axle lift from Jake's. I also see there is an "economy" lift, which looks like a body lift kit. I had an F-150 with a suspension lift and a body lift. Can you put both lifts on or do I need to choose one or the other? Thanks
junebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can I put an axle lift and "economy" lift on my 1990 ez-go?

The "Economy-Lifts" are a set of spacer-blocks that go between your axle and springs to give lift.You can get this style lift up to 5" but most availiable are 4".I'm sure both the block and axle-lift could be used together,but,i wouldn't do it for a few reasons.1.loss of stability/safety,2.loss of durability due to so much flex/twist now built in with this combo.3.The steering linkage will be a nitemare to get right.4.None of your cables(engine and brakes) will reach to connect.Remember that the rear combination of 2 lift kits would be multiple stacked blocks,this also would be unstable/unsafe.Just giving my thoughts,i've seen some scary lifts on trucks in the past with bad,even dangerous results.If you need more than 4-5",look into an A-Arm kit.My cart in my pics has 5" lift and 22" tires.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have had some good results with stacked lifts, too.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
Marathon Man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I know the block lift on a marathon will rub wen u turn to the left and hit the brakes. It was a 91 eletric marathon 4inch economy lift with 22's I have a 92 gasser with the 4 inch drop axle with heavy duty front leave springs with 23's and i have plenty of room.
Marathon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
junebuggy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info guys. So, between the Jake's axle lift and one of the economy or spacer lifts which would you recommend? There has to be a reason the axle lift is more, just not sure why...does it look better? Is it more durable? Safer?
Old 11-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The biggest differences between the two is looks,and ground-clearance.Obviously with the axle-kit you gain some clearance,and it looks tough.But,your steering is still down low(you can modify the holes in the spindles and flip the linkage on top to give more clearance).I guess its' just more of personal preference.I built my own drop-axle and also widened it 2".My Dad has the block-kit and it works just as good.On the 90-94 Marathon,definitely switch the front springs to mid-80's fronts,as they are 2" longer.This gives more room and looks better.The tires don't look stuffed into the front of the cart.The end result is up to you.There are lots of options,use what best suits your needs and wallet.Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2361.jpg (97.5 KB, 28 views)
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
heavygs
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I did a combination of Jake's axle and an Economy lift, wound up with 7 inches of lift. Here is a pic of the front, can't find one for the back. On the back I took the 4 inch spacer and cut out the middle and added a longer tube. When I put it on the cart I also made a limiter strap to keep from flexing too much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marathon 33.jpg (114.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Marathon 36.jpg (96.7 KB, 30 views)
heavygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #8
junebuggy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I just noticed this morning the axle is bent on the passenger side, so since I'll need a new axle anyway I guess my first purchase will be the axle lift. Will the kit be all I need to purchase initially or will I need to buy new shocks, steering components or anything else?

Tags
1990 marathon, axle lift, economy lift, ez-go electric
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO