lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
KSlocum
Not Yet Wild

Default Forward Reverse switch limit switch

I have an 86 Club car that I have not got running yet, four of the 5 soenoids will pull in only if I hot wire the negative side of the solenoids. I have a new solenoid but haven't installed it yet. My question is, if the switch is in forward or reverse the limit switch opens and breaks the circuit to negative side of the solenoids. Is it supposed to do this? If it is how do I get the power to the negative side of the solenoids? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
KSlocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Forward Reverse switch limit switch

Yes the micro-switches control the neg half fo the activation circuit ... Have you printed out the wiring diagram in the stickies at the top of this section yet?
5 solenoids triggered by 5 micro-switches in a silver box. 1 solenoid is the master. It is closest to the driver's side
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
KSlocum
Not Yet Wild

what I was trying to ask is the limit switch on the FnR switch opens when it is in either F or R there by opening the neg half of the circuit to the solenoids. of course the solenoids won't pull in. i don't think it is supposed to be this way and the only way I can pull them in is to hot wire them. Still no movement though, may have a bad contact on the FnR switch.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I didn't answer your question because you are not looking at the whole system. Do you have the cart diagram?
Old 03-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
KSlocum
Not Yet Wild

Yes i do, seems to be wired right except it makes no sense, to me any way, why the FnR limit switch opens when put in either F or R
Old 03-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

To complete the circuit It provides the neg half of the solenoid activation circuit... The positive half of the solenoid circuit is completed in the speed selector box I have been trying to tell you about...did you print out this wiring diagram yet?

A golf Cart solenoid speed selector system is nothing like anything else .....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z ____ 5 SOLENOID CC.jpg (73.4 KB, 49 views)
Old 03-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
KSlocum
Not Yet Wild

yes I did print out the wiring diagram. There is no way that I can get the neg halve of the solenoid activation system to the solenoids through an open limit switch. It is hard to read the diagram but it appears to be right but it can't be. We just may have to do away with the limit switch on the F n R switch
Old 03-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
KSlocum
Not Yet Wild

by the way, i can easily see how it is supposed to work from the diagram, just as you have been telling me. what is that limit switch for, and I don't mean the micro switches for speed control
Old 03-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
KSlocum
Not Yet Wild

went through the cart again today. Found that the master solenoid was not pulling in and I found two more bad solenoids. The master solenoid is good but apparently the micro switch in the speed control is bad. Will be taking that apart tomorrow. As I suspected the limit switch on the F-N-R switch is wrong. There is no way the solenoids could pull in because when in F or R that switch is open and interupts the neg half of the solenoid control circuit. It doesn't look as if it has been replaced but it sure wouldn't work. Will replace it with with a NO, (normally open) switch. The master Solenoid would pull in when I hot wired it but not with the speed control. I jumpered the #2 solenoid's positive lead over to the master and away I went. It actually made the trip around the house. Tickled the heck out of me. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I am glad to hear you are making progress despite my help. I just reread your first post where you said the F&R micro was interrupting the circuit in both F&R and I had read that it was completing the circuit So yeh, you are right that switch is N.O. and needs to close in F&R to establish the constant negative at the solenoid bank. Then the 5 micros in the box are all bolted together side by side. They will come out when you remove the 2 long bolts. They are operated by a plastic slide attached to the gas peddle linkage. Take note how the micros set in there and how the slide goes....

To remove the speed control box disconnect the throttle linkage from below.Remove the nuts from the two small bolts holding the box to the frame. You will have to have made a diagram of the wire colors to get them all back in the same order or the cart will not accelerate smoothly.
Good luck
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car