lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
tcijoe
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default ds was crashed and quit working

last week we had an incident with our golf cart. somebody drove it into a ditch and flipped cart on its side. fortunately everyone was fine. trouble is the golf cart has not run since. here is what i know
-no visable damage
-all wires are tight and clean
-batteries have taken and are holding charge (50.4v as a pack and approx 8.4 independantly), checked with hydrometer...i was concerned since while tipped over it leaked about 2gal. of fluid.
-the solenoid clicks
-no matter key position or pedal position i get 50v on both sides of solenoid
-fluid from batteries may have leaked in to potentionometer so i would like to know how to test?

what else to try? does this sound like a bad solenoid? controller? motor?

2001 48v ds (with out tow/haul switch) 11hp fan cooled motor, 400amp curtis controller, "z" lift 1/0 wiring, heavy duty f and r switch, 22" tires.
tcijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: ds was crashed and quit working

Sounds like the solenoid may be bad .... you should not have 50v on both sides. Is there a positive and a negative present at the 2 small solenoid terminals? ....with key on key off... peddle up , peddle down?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
tcijoe
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

i get 50v on the little wires on solenoid on with pedal down and yes it is a + and a -they are the same pos and neg wether in forward or reverse, if it matters . i get 50v constantly on both sides with the pedal up or down. i solenoid only clicks with the key on and pedal pressed.

what should i check next.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:34 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The solenoid is a switch the power at the large terminal should be switched on/off when it clicks .... not on all the time? Is the activation pos and neg present all the time? It should come and go with the F&R microswitch activation ..... hope this helps
Old 12-30-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
tcijoe
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

i will start by replacing solenoid

yes the little terminals switch on and off

thanks
Old 12-30-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Before you replace it ........ try this, connect a jumper battery cable between the 2 large posts and see if the cart runs......... this will take the solenoid out of the equation. If it runs, the solenoid or the solenoid activation circuit is bad....
Old 12-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #7
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Before you replace it ........ try this, connect a jumper battery cable between the 2 large posts and see if the cart runs......... this will take the solenoid out of the equation. If it runs, the solenoid or the solenoid activation circuit is bad....
On stands so it can't run away.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
Doc
Gone Wild

Dumb question, but where is the solenoid activation circuit located? I've got the EXACT same problem with my 48V 2000 cart. I jumped the solenoid's 2 big lugs and it ran fine that way....does that mean my solenoid is bad or the activation circuit? Again, if so, where's it at?
Thanks, Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
tcijoe
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

i tried the jumper cable method to no avail. i also checked with meter to make sure cables were really conected.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Dumb question, but where is the solenoid activation circuit located? I've got the EXACT same problem with my 48V 2000 cart. I jumped the solenoid's 2 big lugs and it ran fine that way....does that mean my solenoid is bad or the activation circuit? Again, if so, where's it at?
Thanks, Doc
Excellent Question Doc Your typical CC solenoid will have 2 large posts and 2 small posts..... It is an electric switch. The 2 small are the activation circuit to close the connection between the 2 large. That is why when you jump the solenoid you take it completely out of the equation. If it runs as your did you need to come back and see if it is getting the 1 positive and 1 negative charge at the small terminals to activate the contactor..... you can use a voltmeter or sometimes I just take all the little wires off and bring my own battery jumpers with 1 pos and 1 neg just to hear it work ...... or not?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car