lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
cb0w
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Rear Shackle Replacement Procedure

Hi Folks,

A recent upgrade to bigger wheels/tires has caused a small rubbing issue in the rear of my CC DS. As many threads have suggested, I have chosen to fab some longer shackles to give a slight lift in the rear.

I've never owned a truck, and suspension components are not my area of expertise, so forgive the amateur hour questions. I read on some generic 4x4 sites about jacking the vehicle up by the rear differential, placing jack stands under the frame, and then lowering the jack allowing the suspension to sag and relieving tension on the shackles. Is that the generally recommended procedure for a golf cart? Any help is appreciated!

(BTW, I already drilled my holes in the bag well in order to remove the upper bolts )

Thanks for reading!
cb0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
EZHO
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rear Shackle Replacement Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb0w View Post
Hi Folks,

and then lowering the jack allowing the suspension to sag and relieving tension on the shackles. d!

Thanks for reading!
yes it will remove the compression load on the shackle bolts , but you need to keep the jack there to prevent a hanging load on the shackle bolts as well . .so raise and lower the jack to find the sweet spot where the shackle bolts are at there freest point. before you pull them out .
EZHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #3
cb0w
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks EZ! Got the shackles off without issue and will be fabbing some longer ones tomorrow.

I tried to find some 1/4” flat bar at HD today, but my store only stocks 1/8”. Might have to find a metal shop.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2017, 10:39 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Tractor Supply has 1/4"....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:12 AM   #5
villebacker
Gone Wild

Yamaha

FYI I made new shackles for my 1993 DS. I first made the shackles 2" longer and it raised it too high in the rear. I drilled new holes at 1" longer than stock and cleared my 12" tire and wheels now and doesn't look like it is running down hill either.
villebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #6
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm going to "second" Noles post !!

I have used the 1/4" stock from T. Supply for a number of shackles..both the "straight" and "offset'.....My personal preference is 1 1/2" longer than stock.

A real "find" at the scrap yard was a length of 1 1/2" x 3" rectangle stock from a steel building ..... perfect to make the "lift block" for the front of a DS !!!!

It gives a DS with 205x12" tires the "just right" amount of clearance and stance without breaking the bank !!!

Here is a stock 96 DS with the 1 1/2" lift and 205/12" tires combo installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (412.6 KB, 0 views)
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
cb0w
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Nole, Yeah, Tractor supply is one of my favorite stores! Unfortunately, we don't have any here in South Florida. Booo!! Luckily, I work at a vocational adult school and I spoke to the Machining instructor and he's going to have one of his students fab them up for me.

Ville, That's a great suggestion, I'm planning to have them drill two holes to give myself the option.

Tex, that's just about the exact look I'm going for. I've got the low-pro lift block installed on the front, just need to raise the back a hair to bring everything in line and get rid of this wheel rub.

Here's how it sits now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4913.jpg (217.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #8
EZHO
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb0w View Post
Thanks for the replies, guys!

I'm planning to have them drill two holes to give myself the option.
just something to consider ...
If you end up using the higher hole and theres a hole between the two actual bolts it will greatly reduce the strength of the shackle if using 1" wide width bar stock ? if you using 1 1/2 then not so much so ?

or drill the higher hole only for now and if it needs to be lower , then take it back and drill the lower position ..
Old 12-15-2017, 04:44 PM   #9
cb0w
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey EZ,

I spoke to the guy today and he didn’t have any 1-1/2 x 1/4 so he’s using 1-1/2 x 3/8! I’m hoping the thicker stock will eliminate any integrity issues a 2nd hole would cause. Also, hoping I can squeeze them in there, lol!

Thanks for your help, I’ll post back on Monday with an update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2017, 05:23 PM   #10
EZHO
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

3/8's and you'll need a extra 1/4 inch of bolt showing , go check. (1/8" x 2) . my bolts are all but flush and does not have it ! .. so you might need new bolts .. Ya its never simple ,not even shackles
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car