lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2017, 04:56 PM   #1
hawmarine
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Lithium Battery Pack

So I ended up pulling the trigger on the 54V (48V) 3200Wh Battery Pack from EV Battery. I called and talked to them before ordering. Was very hard to understand them but I had some questions in regards to the Maximum Amps the pack would put out. I have a 500AMP system, as I upgraded everything on the cart with the kit from ScottyB. The documentation on EVBattery website showed a max of 300Amp, with a sustained output of 175Amp. After talking to them, what I gathered from what I could understand, they were saying that is due to the limits of the Anderson connector being only a 175Amp connector, and #4 wire.

So I've ordered the pack with just a charger connector on it. I have since sourced #2 welding wire, some Anderson connectors rated to 600AMP, and the crimpers to put it all together. I had a hell of a time finding the Anderson connectors for sale, since you have to buy everything separately, they don't sell a whole kit. So now ill make two cables one with a male, and one with a female end, and have one cable for the distributor side hook up, and one for the battery side hook up.

I think this should get me what im looking for but im not really sure. Guess we will find out.

Link to the connectors.
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/22/AT-CPC(1)-707509.pdf
Page 3 Dual Pole Male and Female.

Ill post more when the pack arrives, and I get it installed. Im in the middle of the overhaul, so nows as good a time as any to do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6408.JPG (132.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6427.JPG (105.0 KB, 0 views)
hawmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lithium Battery Pack

The easiest thing to do would be just run #2 cables directly from the battery pack to the controller to test first, then run #4 cables and see if there is a difference. I have a 45v pack (6 modules instead of 7) and have logged over 250amps. I have the 400amp Alltrax controller.

BTW, is that a Titan body? I just ordered an orange one.
agpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:48 PM   #3
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Pictured is what your new battery tray might look like. The second one is with the pack installed. I did this for a friend. Write up on this site.

This cart has the XCT400 PDS and PQ Bandit upgrade on D&D motor. Will spin the tires on pavement. You probably won't see much above a 325A draw from the pack because you lost so much weight from the cart. Even when you do, it is for less than a second. I actually had Nick from EV in my cart testng it here in Orlando last year. He was surprised and initially concerned when I hit 325A, but then realized it was for less than a second at high amps.

The last attachment is an excerpt from my monitor log on a full bore run on a 5° hill up to the house. This is the Executioner from PQ. Note the short length of time before the current drops to 140ish. And I have a high speed 10.3 transaxle vs your 12.44.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brendle Battery Tray Mods.jpg (412.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Brendle Pack Install 1.jpg (304.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Monitor Log Uphill.jpg (122.8 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:23 PM   #4
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawmarine View Post
So I ended up pulling the trigger on the 54V (48V) 3200Wh Battery Pack from EV Battery. I called and talked to them before ordering. Was very hard to understand them but I had some questions in regards to the Maximum Amps the pack would put out. I have a 500AMP system, as I upgraded everything on the cart with the kit from ScottyB. The documentation on EVBattery website showed a max of 300Amp, with a sustained output of 175Amp. After talking to them, what I gathered from what I could understand, they were saying that is due to the limits of the Anderson connector being only a 175Amp connector, and #4 wire.

So I've ordered the pack with just a charger connector on it. I have since sourced #2 welding wire, some Anderson connectors rated to 600AMP, and the crimpers to put it all together. I had a hell of a time finding the Anderson connectors for sale, since you have to buy everything separately, they don't sell a whole kit. So now ill make two cables one with a male, and one with a female end, and have one cable for the distributor side hook up, and one for the battery side hook up.

I think this should get me what im looking for but im not really sure. Guess we will find out.

Link to the connectors.
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/22/AT-CPC(1)-707509.pdf
Page 3 Dual Pole Male and Female.

Ill post more when the pack arrives, and I get it installed. Im in the middle of the overhaul, so nows as good a time as any to do it.
The Anderson connector and 4AWG wires are indeed the limiting factor. However, you don't need one but the 350 version probably would have sufficed. That is one not more connection that can fail. It is SIX! Eliminate it and connect the pack directly to a ANL fuse block like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GLL3XTC

Did you ask them to double up the bus bars? That is another place where the battery exceeds the "infrastructure".

I have that exact same battery and am in the middle of the install along with an Alltrax. I just got everything laid out today and will begin cutting and drilling next week after I get back in town.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #5
hawmarine
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by agpfl View Post
The easiest thing to do would be just run #2 cables directly from the battery pack to the controller to test first, then run #4 cables and see if there is a difference. I have a 45v pack (6 modules instead of 7) and have logged over 250amps. I have the 400amp Alltrax controller.

BTW, is that a Titan body? I just ordered an orange one.
Yes that's the Orange Titan body.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:48 PM   #6
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

Not as bright orange as I thought. Maybe it's just the picture?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
agpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:03 PM   #7
hawmarine
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It's got a protective opaque film on it. I thought the same thing when I first saw it.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:06 PM   #8
hawmarine
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
The Anderson connector and 4AWG wires are indeed the limiting factor. However, you don't need one but the 350 version probably would have sufficed. That is one not more connection that can fail. It is SIX! Eliminate it and connect the pack directly to a ANL fuse block like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GLL3XTC

Did you ask them to double up the bus bars? That is another place where the battery exceeds the "infrastructure".

I have that exact same battery and am in the middle of the install along with an Alltrax. I just got everything laid out today and will begin cutting and drilling next week after I get back in town.
I get what your saying. I guess I figured it was the best way to do it, since that's how they sold the kit. Those **** connectors where not cheap. Never really dawned on me to run wire direct.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:31 PM   #9
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yep! I bought the 350A version and the crimper on Amazon and when it arrived, I had to hit myself for not being so bright when I saw it all in front of me. Thank God for Prime and being able to return stuff easily!

After talking to a few people here and to Nick at EV, the highest load from the cart is very brief. When they do their testing, they said the battery could take 540A PEAK. I cannot remember how long but it was longer than I expected. The cart will hit peak current in the first few seconds from stop and last a brief amount of time. Running full throttle on flat ground, they were getting 60-70A. They also said their rating was 250A CONTINUOUS which was for 15 minutes!
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:45 PM   #10
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Is it ok to ask how much the whole package cost?. I'm thinking about doing one and I have no Ideal as to cost.

Thanks
Sonny
sonnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO