lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
wards75
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default HD FNR or Reversing Contactor

Before I spend $250+ on a reversing contactor just wanted to know if the HD F&R switch is enough...
Carried the cart to the woods the other day to move some stands around and check stuff out. Its the farthest I've been on the cart and the most load I've put on it...2 adults and 2 kids plus some equipment. Cart did fine except the F&R switch did get hot...smoking hot and you could smell it...
My plan is to try to upgrade stuff little by little if I can so the wife doesn't blow a gasket at a full controller, solenoid, switch & possibly motor in one pop...

Will the HD FNR handle a min of 500 amp controller...(so Scotty B' #404B or #444) and a "Beast" motor or the likes?
I know the contactor would probably be stronger but is it overkill?

Thanks
Steven
wards75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: HD FNR or Reversing Contactor

You can use our HD F&R - it has 60% greater amp handling and buss bar cooling capacity than the other guy's HD switch.
But to answer your original question; No, the HD reversing contactor is not big enough to reliably handle the loads you are going to put on the system with a 500-700 amp controller and a Beast (high torque) type motor... This is a super-duty application all the way

As for the question of it being overkill, I don't think it is. The rotary F&R switch design is 1940s technology. Originally developed for electric elevators and adapted to electric carts from the onset. We can beef them up but it is still a group of stationary copper contacts making friction contact with copper studs in a rotating cam.
Reversing contactors use silver contacts electromagnetically pulled together for a more secure higher quality connection.
When you build with the biggest controls and motors... your best option for switching is the super-duty reversing contactor kit.

We are using the HD model in our Ezgo cart at the ranch. It is fitted with 400 amp controller and carries a weed sprayer tank on stock tires. This cart gets hours of back and forth shifting and never misses a lick. Beats the heck out of the OEM lever shifter it burnt up!

I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The Albright SW202 reversing contactor as it comes from factory is only rated for 250Amps continuous.

ScottyB should sell his own version of it by wiring 2-SW201 so they will handle 400Amps continuos on Forward and 250Amps on reversing.

The only difference is both solenoids need to be engaged for forward since the Normally Open contacts carry the most current.

It could be the "super-duty HD reversing contactor kit"
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
wards75
Getting Wild

Club Car

Alrighty then..."Heavy Duty" Reversing contactor it is.. :)
Old 03-24-2015, 01:22 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wards75 View Post
Alrighty then..."Heavy Duty" Reversing contactor it is.. :)
Whoa, partner. The 500-700 amp control plus a 10 hp Beast motor is a SUPER- DUTY call if ever there was one Or did I miss something?
Old 03-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #6
wards75
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Whoa, partner. The 500-700 amp control plus a 10 hp Beast motor is a SUPER- DUTY call if ever there was one Or did I miss something?
Well, I'll probably call you first before ordering but, I have an idea of what I want..lol. I figure its not a whole lotta difference in the #404 & #444 package you have and I do kinda want a "Beast" lol..
But seriously the "Beast" may be more than I need...not sure. :p
Guess I should of actually said "Super Duty Reversing Contactor":D
Old 03-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wards75 View Post
Well, I'll probably call you first before ordering but, I have an idea of what I want..lol. I figure its not a whole lotta difference in the #404 & #444 package you have and I do kinda want a "Beast" lol..
But seriously the "Beast" may be more than I need...not sure. :p
Guess I should of actually said "Super Duty Reversing Contactor":D

Roger that. - remember you can't have too much contactor but you can have too little.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #8
wards75
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Roger that. - remember you can't have too much contactor but you can have too little.
See....that's what I was thinking! :D:D
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car