lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #31
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: What is the best year/brand Golf cart to buy with plans to modify (speed and lift

I'll almost certainly replace my batteries with 6 X 8-volt jobs when the time comes. Although Lithium would be nice, at 71 years old, it probably wouldn't be worth the effort for me, and I don't really care about the next guy. :-) Depending on how many years I get out of the OEM pack, one replacement is all I should need.

I did just install a Battery Minder on the thing, ordered it from Amazon. It's a bit confusing to me, however: you're supposed to be able to leave the B.M. connected 24/7, in fact the instructions recommend that. However, the DVM on the dash shows about 55 volts, which is way too much. IIRC, after disconnecting the B.M., 24 hours later, the meter showed 51.2 or thereabouts.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #32
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: What is the best year/brand Golf cart to buy with plans to modify (speed and lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunmyer View Post
I'll almost certainly replace my batteries with 6 X 8-volt jobs when the time comes. Although Lithium would be nice, at 71 years old, it probably wouldn't be worth the effort for me, and I don't really care about the next guy. :-) Depending on how many years I get out of the OEM pack, one replacement is all I should need.

I did just install a Battery Minder on the thing, ordered it from Amazon. It's a bit confusing to me, however: you're supposed to be able to leave the B.M. connected 24/7, in fact the instructions recommend that. However, the DVM on the dash shows about 55 volts, which is way too much. IIRC, after disconnecting the B.M., 24 hours later, the meter showed 51.2 or thereabouts.
My maintainer keeps the pack at 54.5 volts steady. I am not worried at all.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #33
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunmyer View Post

Being 71 also, I share your assessments about going to Lithium.

As for the BM, as long as it floats the batteries under 56.4V (2.35VPC), it's okay. If it took them above 56.4V for an extended length of time, they would gas heavily and use a lot of water, but other than that, you can take them up to about 67V (2.79VPC) during the regular charge cycle.

I suspect it'll take a few weeks for the BM and your batteries to stabilize.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #34
jackman08
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sir Nuke

Apparently it doesnt always go as planned though. I have a 1994 series cart that I put a 500A controller, HD F&R switch, HD solenoid, 20 in tires, 48 volt system, and got the plum quick bandit motor and still at only 20mph.... Sadly disappointd. So must be the year model of my cart that makes the difference. So maybe tell the man to be careful of series carts......... they are made for tourque not speed? This is just my experence.
jackman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #35
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackman08 View Post
Sir Nuke

Apparently it doesnt always go as planned though. I have a 1994 series cart that I put a 500A controller, HD F&R switch, HD solenoid, 20 in tires, 48 volt system, and got the plum quick bandit motor and still at only 20mph.... Sadly disappointd. So must be the year model of my cart that makes the difference. So maybe tell the man to be careful of series carts......... they are made for tourque not speed? This is just my experence.
My 95 EZGO series set up almost identical to yours except I had an EMP 5.0 motor would run 33+mph. There should be not much difference between a 94 and 95 year model with the same upgrades. If all components of your cart check out and you want more speed, I would get a high speed motor. The bandit motor is usually better than stock but not a true high speed motor.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:49 AM   #36
cortinas78
Not Yet Wild

Hello-
Bumping this thread.
I am a newbie. This past weekend my wife rented a cart to haul us around our community. There are tons of carts in our neighborhood and my wife has been bugging me to get one for the family. the one thing that has kept me from looking into carts is that I don't have room for it to sleep in the garage. I will have to sell another toy to make room. I plan to make room later this yr...

So here are my answers to JonnyBs questions
Please answer all of the following questions:

What make and year is the cart?
Not sure cart manufacture. However, I want something that I can continue to mod....large aftermarket support
2011-2014

What size tires are on the cart?
22-24?
How many people ride on the cart? 4
Is the electrical system 36 or 48 volts? 48
What size is the speed control? not sure
What top speed is desired? 25-30
Is the used on or off the road? A bit of both. Mostly neighborhood runs, but we do have trails nearby.
Is the terrain hilly? no. I live in North Texas.
Is the footing sandy or muddy? Paved streets. trails are mud.

While I can ask my neighbors on what to do, I'd rather keep this quiet as i have not showed much enthusiasm for modded golf carts.

thanks in advance
cortinas78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:27 PM   #37
Copeman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

How far can you run on a charge with all your mods?
Copeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #38
CrazyDad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Coleman and cortinas78,

Welcome to BGW!

You would be better of starting a new thread about what cart to buy and range with mods. That way you can get specific answers for your situation. People tend not to reply to old threads. We look forward to to your journey building your ultimate cart weather it’s keeping a stock cart going forever or making it a custom beast.
CrazyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO