lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2018, 06:35 AM   #1
MUDSLINGER250
Getting Wild

Default Navitas controller

I understand the ezgo rxv ac motor is no comparison to the torque of a a dc motor as far as climbing over logs up hills and the cart being loaded with seed sacks and fat folks. I have the new batteries I've changed all my cables to 2 Awg because I'm an electrician and get free wire I knew it wouldn't make a performance change on the cart but why not make bigger cables if you can. Now I've seen this 600 amp navitas controller for these carts and just want to know would it make a difference in power on this cart or is this rxv motor basically giving all it can with what it's got. Thanks everyone for your answers on prior posts also.
MUDSLINGER250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2018, 03:00 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Navitas controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSLINGER250 View Post
I understand the ezgo rxv ac motor is no comparison to the torque of a a dc motor as far as climbing over logs up hills and the cart being loaded with seed sacks and fat folks. I have the new batteries I've changed all my cables to 2 Awg because I'm an electrician and get free wire I knew it wouldn't make a performance change on the cart but why not make bigger cables if you can. Now I've seen this 600 amp navitas controller for these carts and just want to know would it make a difference in power on this cart or is this rxv motor basically giving all it can with what it's got. Thanks everyone for your answers on prior posts also.
The stock 235 Amp RXV controller is actually 105 Amps more powerful, it is just turned down to well below the full 100% of its rating. E-Z-GO has the controller turned down to limit performance, and limit their exposure to injury lawsuits. We can turn up the performance of the Curtis controllers to the full 100%, but not the Danaher controllers.

The torque of an AC motor is much greater than the same capacity DC motor, and does so with less power consumption. Now when someone puts large tires on an RXV (or any cart), it greatly reduces the torque to the ground.

Larger battery cables do make a difference when the stock controller is turned up to 100% of its rating. I recommend 2 guage cables.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:02 PM   #3
MUDSLINGER250
Getting Wild

Ok I've got the 2 gauge cables and I also took it and had a speed chip put in I know theres no chip he hooked it up to a handheld device and done some clicking so I might be at my full capacity. I just put these new batteries in so maybe the old ones weren't letting it perform to it's full extent.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:08 AM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Ok I've got the 2 gauge cables and I also took it and had a speed chip put in I know theres no chip he hooked it up to a handheld device and done some clicking so I might be at my full capacity. I just put these new batteries in so maybe the old ones weren't letting it perform to it's full extent.
Where did he plug the handset into, under the seat or under the cupholder?
Old 09-29-2018, 04:58 AM   #5
MUDSLINGER250
Getting Wild

Under the seat
Old 09-29-2018, 07:09 AM   #6
MUDSLINGER250
Getting Wild

Dumb question here. I know I had the speed turned up would that lower the torque. If it does I think I wanna get it switched back I'd rather go a little slower and be able to load more seed sacks and climb a hill. If it doesn't effect it I'll just keep it the way it is.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:08 PM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Dumb question here. I know I had the speed turned up would that lower the torque. If it does I think I wanna get it switched back I'd rather go a little slower and be able to load more seed sacks and climb a hill. If it doesn't effect it I'll just keep it the way it is.
Ok, if he did it under the seat, that means it has a Curtis controller, and he likely just turned the speed to maximum in the profile you are using. He would not have been able to enable Freedom mode with a handset. It would have taken a passkey to enable Freedom mode, and he would have charged you for that. The passkey costs a fair amount of money to buy. I can turn on Freedom mode with a programming computer, at no cost to me.

With the RXV, speed is driven by frequency, and torque is driven by current to that motor over its RPM range. The factory settings cut back on current in order to limit performance, for safer operation... This results with a stock RXV without Freedom mode to be limited to 507.6 Amps of combined 3 phase current. With Freedom mode enabled by passkey, this limit can be lowered to as little as 423 Amps of combined 3 phase current. So, the faster you try to go, the more the current is cut back. When I reprogram for performance, I restore the current to 100% of the controllers rating. This is why the stock controller can exceed the output of an aftermarket controller.

I can turn up the current on some of the stock controllers, but I do not recomend it. That would shorten its life. But if you want to work the RXV hard, you are going to want it turned up.

I speed it up by raising the RPM limit of the motor to double the default limit. The motor is capable of operating at 3 times the default limit. I do not push it that far... I have been on an RXV that went to that RPM limit once, and it was NOT fun. I still have the scars from that experience
Old 09-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #8
MUDSLINGER250
Getting Wild

I dunno how much a passkey is but he had something in a little bag that looked black i think. And I paid 80 bucks.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:15 AM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I dunno how much a passkey is but he had something in a little bag that looked black i think. And I paid 80 bucks.
Ok, that was likely the passkey. About the charge too. Then he used the handset to set it from 17.5 to 19.5 MPH.

My local dealer used to charge $100 for eack passkey use. Now I go to his shop and he drives them up to me, I plug in, turn on Freedom mode, set it to Profile 5, and 19.5 MPH for him...

It takes just a minute each and he has a batch of them to sell. He doesn't want them turned up any more than that, for liability reasons of course.

Bob
Old 09-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #10
MUDSLINGER250
Getting Wild

That's understandable about the liability thing especially with the needy ones now days. I think what my problem is is that I'm wanting side by side performance out of something that's designed to ride on a little paved lane and carry clubs and beer. I think I'll keep my little camo cart for riding down the paved road to the pond and start looking at polarises for fire lane riding.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO