lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
GotaCamaro
Getting Wild

Default What is the best year/brand Golf cart to buy with plans to modify (speed and lift)?

I am in the market to get a newer golf cart that I want to modify for:

1. speed/torque (to around 20-24mph)
2. Lifted with bigger tires/wheels

I want to do this right, and on a budget. So i dont want to buy the wrong model cart and have to spend 500$ more on modifications where as another cart can be 'programed' by the dealer to obtain results cheaper.

a. Do I want PDS or the new RXV's?
b. What year did the RXV's start?
c. What is the best way to get to 20-24 MPH ?
d. Is there certain lifts that I should avoid? What brand is good?
e. From what I read I should get 48 volt cart to obtain the speed easier, most ezgo's I have owned were 36v

I appreciate any help! I dont know the differences between CC, EZGO and yamaha and not sure if one has big advantages over another.
GotaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What is the best year/brand Golf cart to buy with plans to modify (speed and lift

Answer as many of questions that weren't covered in your orig. post ......

Please answer all of the following questions:

What make and year is the cart?
What size tires are on the cart?
How many people ride on the cart?
Is the electrical system 36 or 48 volts?
What size is the speed control?
What top speed is desired?
Is the used on or off the road?
Is the terrain hilly?
Is the footing sandy or muddy?

The answers you provide will help me determine what all is available for your cart.
Thank you for asking
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
GotaCamaro
Getting Wild

Default Re: What is the best year/brand Golf cart to buy with plans to modify (speed and lift

I am looking to purchase a new (used) golf cart so most of your questions are irrelevant??? I am looking to know which golf cart to purchase in order to modify, and all of my questions are in the original post.

Additional info you requested is that there will be a rear seat added for 4 people total. Terrain is some offroad and slight hills (no major hills).
Old 12-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #4
GotaCamaro
Getting Wild

A golf cart dealer told me to buy a 2009 or newer EZGO becuase they have RXV AC drive? which can go very fast and not lose torque. That sound like the best option out there for me?
Old 12-08-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What is your total budget available?
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The early RXV's had a few issues, (motor brake, etc). That would be the 2008 and 2009 models. They all have 48 volt AC motors. They will all do 20 mph, (relative) so adding a taller set of wheels/tires will increase that speed. It will reduce the torque, but the AC motor is not effected in the same manner as the DC's. Just like in a car, if you don't change the gear, (drive ratio), adding tire height increases the final drive gearing and puts a greater strain on everything in front of it. But, like in a car, the end speed will be greater. Given to parameters you mention, the RXV is probably your best bet. Avoid the "08 and 09" models, they will be the cheaper ones, and you should be able to meet your needs with very few mods.
Just be aware, if you change one thing, it will effect the remaining drive items. Which is why Scottyb was trying to pin point what you wanted and if you had a particular cart in mind.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
What is your total budget available?
well sport ask the REAL question.....what is it ^^^...your budget that is? THAT will truly determine what will work best for you.....and/or lead to other questions we may have. Like are you wanting to "build" your own? and do all your mods yourself? those kind of things.......
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
DIRTPIT HC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would say the real question is, Why would you tell someone with ScottyB's experience and knowledge that his questions are irrelevant? Sounds like that dealer has you covered. Buy from him and be happy.
DIRTPIT HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #9
GotaCamaro
Getting Wild

Did not mean to be offensive to scottyb and sorry if it sounded like I was but he clearly did not read my post at all and his questions were irrelevant to my original post . I am asking what I should buy and I am glad I did because i got some good information here.

Chloe thank you for your response, that is the information I am looking for. Now i know to avoid 2008 and 2009, so it looks like i need a 2010+EZGO to obtain what I need.

There is no set budget here, I just want to buy used to save a few grand and do as little mods as necessary to get to 20-24mph. So the 2008+ RXV drives will go 20mph on stock wheel height? Is this obtained by just the dealer programming it? Then say I lift it and put some bigger tires on there, I will be up to 22+mph? That would be perfect. I will be doing the mods myself.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well Camaro....I have a 2006 TXT Series Drive cart.....its Lifted, has bigger Wheels/Tires on it....I modified the drive system (with the help of ScottyB, you can see its spec's in my sig) so that it is totally dependable and will go anywhere I want/need to go....AND has a Top End of 27 mph, for now....and when I up the voltage to 48V when I get my next set of batteries....it will increase the torque and speed....the top end will be in the neighborhood of 35 mph.

SO.....it all depends on what you want to do.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO