lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
bigpoppi
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default bigger controller, taller gears, good/bad

Situation that I'm in, cart being upgraded with a 400a controller and 400a solenoid and 2guage cables as we speak, still at 36 volts, trying to get my head wrapped around this, but in the winter to come, when I upgrade to 48v, and I upgrade the motor,,,,,, will it be a waste to get a high torque motor and 8 - 1 gears vs. just getting a strickly rebuilt motor from PQ????
bigpoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: bigger controller, taller gears, good/bad

It depends on what your end goal is. A fast cart with a lot of torque or a slower torque monster, or something in between.

The 22" tires is costing you about 18% in torque, but the 400A controller is upping torque by 33%, so the net gain over stock is 15% and a 36V cart that does in the low to mid 20's.

Going to 48V will give you an additional 33% more torque and some more speed. (48% more torque than stock)

Going to 8:1 gears will up the torque by and additional 36% and cut the speed by a similar percentage.

A high torque motor will also increase torque and reduce speed, but I don't know what the ratios are.

In any case, you may want to consider installing Heavy Duty hubs before the splines in the existing one spin out and damage the axle splines.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
bigpoppi
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Aren't stock gears on a EZGO 12.5 to 1, I thought that going to an 8 to 1 gear ratio will add speed and reduce torque.... but I'm assuming, I thought going to an 8 to 1 set up would add speed, but what do I know, that's why I like this forum. Now that I type it out, my end goal is still 25 to 33 mph, and to answer my own question, 48 volts this fall along with a PQ motor built to give a bit more speed than torque.... I'm anxious to get my cart back, add my 12 battery, do my brakes, and cruise with my new found power.... thanx JohnnieB, again, you have helped me get back on my path....
Old 04-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppi View Post
Aren't stock gears on a EZGO 12.5 to 1, I thought that going to an 8 to 1 gear ratio will add speed and reduce torque.... but I'm assuming, I thought going to an 8 to 1 set up would add speed, but what do I know, that's why I like this forum. Now that I type it out, my end goal is still 25 to 33 mph, and to answer my own question, 48 volts this fall along with a PQ motor built to give a bit more speed than torque.... I'm anxious to get my cart back, add my 12 battery, do my brakes, and cruise with my new found power.... thanx JohnnieB, again, you have helped me get back on my path....
Ooooooops!!!!. My head was on backwards. You are right, 8:1 will increase speed and reduce torque.

The high torque motor will decrease speed and increase torque, but I don't know how much, so I'm not sure what the combination of the two will give you.

Sorry about the mix-up.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

I'm guessing that this is a series cart?
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

If you are getting a high torque motor from pq and want to change the gears talk to them about it, I have seen there high torque motor run at 30mph of course the cart has 26" tires. Also if you go the motor route you will need a updated controller in stock programming.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
bigpoppi
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanx guys, I'm starting with a 08 PDS, 22 inch tires, 4 in. lift, everything else is pretty much stock.... what's being put on is an Alltrax DCX400pds controller, a 400A/1000A solenoid, and 2 guage cables. Are you saying if I do call PQ and get the upgraded motor, I'll need to upgrade the 400A controller??? I have different people telling me different things... I'm hoping I can just send in my stock motor to PQ and have them rebuild it, which in their words, will have an increase in both speed and torque... I drove a cart with the 8 to 1 gears, it was gas, but it did scoot down the road quickly... hoping that the final addition of the 48volt battery pack and the PQ motor gets me close to 30 mph...
Old 04-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The 400A/1000A 48V solenoid works from 36V to 48V.
The Alltrax DCX400PDS works from 36V to 48V and is user programmable.
The field map may be different for a PQ motor, but it would be available from Alltrax or PQ. (I don't know of it is different, so ask PQ and Alltrax)

With a DCX400PDS, 400A Solenoid, 2Ga cables, 48V and 22" tires, I believe you will be at or over 30MPH and have enough torque to spin the axles in the hubs. (You program the throttle up rate, so that doesn't happen. )
Old 04-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

I am pretty sure pq is not going to want any programming on that controller they will want it just like it came from the factory.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:08 AM   #10
bigpoppi
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

'The throttle up rate'????? something I'll need to hook the controller up to a laptop and adjust in a program?? Yet another area I'm not familiar with.... I understand I can tweek the controller to specifics that I may want or need, but I'm also familiar with the ol' term 'the less I know, the less I can screw up'.... time will tell, and if by this coming winter, 48 volts gets me to 30 mph, I may just need to be ez on the throttle when taking off....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO