lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
mitchdog7
Not Yet Wild

Default Best cart for a diesel motor swap?

Hi, i'm new to the forum and i'm wondering what will be the best cart that i could get to drop in a 4 cylinder 1.3L kubota diesel motor? like which cart(s) has the most room to work with. The motor turns clockwise if your looking directly at the flexplate/flywheel (not sure if that matters). right now, i'm looking around for carts, but i'm not sure what i should be looking for. I know that i'll need a gasser, that has the forward/reverse inside the transaxle, but other than that i don't have a clue as to which cart (brand/model/years) that would be the easiest to fit this massive engine in. Also, what transaxle will be able to hold the most power? This motor is rated at 33HP, + ALOT of torque. I've seen some other builds on here of people putting in 3 cylinder kubota's, and i'm wondering if there's even enough space in there for a 4 cylinder? I've also got a 1L 3 cylinder Kubota engine that could be used, but it's got alot of hours on it, and i wanna try the 4 cylinder first. Also, have any of yall tried useing different transaxles? like transaxles with multiple gears inside them? Also, what clutch(es) will be able to hold that amount of hp/torque? Any suggestions/info would be great.
Thanks, Mitch.
mitchdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Best cart for a diesel motor swap?

The CVT clutches work fine on 200HP snowmobiles, well not these ones but a similar design. The CVT also takes out any driveline hammer, so the trans can handle a lot more power. The problem with the diesel is low rpm so it runs out of gear faster. I would plan on huge tires to get any speed, or better yet high speed gears in the trans. You can use some other trans I suppose, but the CVT shifts for you and makes it much easier to drive. You can get posi kits for some carts.

I'd guess you will have to lift the cart or drop the mounts down low to fit that in any cart. I'd say look at yami or ezgo, but a CC could be done too. It will be a serious swap you will have to move most things under the hood. There are some posts on it here. The most room is the work carts that come with boxes and are longer wheel base, though height could be an issue. Look at an ezgo ST with the factory box.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

I put a 3 cyl Kubota in a Club Car, I barely had enough room to line up the clutches and still had to cut the rear spring bolt excess off, also had to relocate the Air filter and install a inline radiator filler to burp the coolant.
rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
mitchdog7
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know of which years of the different make/models came with 4 stroke gassers that i should look for? for the f/r in the transaxle that is, 4 stroke gassers should all have it, and 2 strokes most likely don't, is that correct? Yeah, i plan on this taking a LONG time to complete, if it ever gets started haha.
- Mitch.
mitchdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

Build a EZGO or Yamaha period.
rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Both the Yamaha and Ezgo had the Dana 44 differential
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:07 AM   #7
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I like the frames on the Yamaha's, round tube and plenty strong.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!