lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
GeraldW
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Solenoid/OBC problem 1996 CC 48v

Newbie to this wonderful site - I have searched for the answers to this but would like some confirmation. I changed out all five battery connections (2 old ones were 4 gauge and 3 were 6 gauge) plus changed the positive from the #1 battery to the solenoid. So to do that I took the solenoid out and cleaned thoroughly with carb cleaner, buffed the connections and reassembled/reconnected. Now just a slight bump from the motor. Tested out everything per other posts here and found that jumping the negative of the solenoid (yellow wire from OBC) to the #6 battery terminal gives normal operation. Also, the charger appears to be working normally. I reset the OBC but car still wouldn't go without the jumper. Is it OK to run with this as long as the charger is working? I think it sounds like the OBC but ............just cleaning the solenoid could do that. I did put the diode in the wrong way first time but that's all I can think of that was unusual. Any thoughts would be appreciated
Gerald
GeraldW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Solenoid/OBC problem 1996 CC 48v

well thats an indication of a bad OBC ...............only thing is your charger isn,t going to shut off you ,ll have to keep close watch on it.......do i recomend running it like that no......but i have never seen it hurt a cart other than charger..............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
GeraldW
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks Shadowman - the charger seems to be operating normally but I will keep an eye on it; take it for a short run and see if the charger responds appropriately by shutting off after its replenished the charge. Could putting the diode in the wrong way round have caused the OBC to crap out? It was working fine till then. I have seen comments posted that the 95, 96 and 97 OBCs were substandard. Any recommendation on what to get to replace it?
Gerald
Old 06-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i suppose it could have......if you replace the OBC you should get the updated version which they call a kit cause they give you a new orange battery light to replace the red one and they give you a new grey wire cause on those years the old one would rot and pull out...............save the wire if yours is good and replace the light if yours is still the red one................
Old 06-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
GeraldW
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks Tom
Old 06-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
GeraldW
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Just had a thought - if the OCB responds to being reset and the charger is working OK, can I forget about the OCB being a scrapper and look for something else? Or is there another test for the OCB?
Old 06-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

no you can try and reset it......that might work or might not but keep in mind even if it does works its a temporay thing cart will act up again....but it will buy you time if you need it, don,t ask how much time can,t answer that one....................................
Old 06-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
GeraldW
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

got it - thanks again and particularly your support of the site
Old 06-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

your welcome.......i have learned so much from these guys its the only way to repay is to try and help.........i started like everyone else except i had a golfcart repair business dumped in my lap and i had no freakin idea about the workings of a golfcart elec. or gas...........................
Old 06-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

The OBC controls two solenoids One in the charger (this one turns the charger on and off) and one in the cart this makes it not go with the charger plugged in. The second is What you are jumping correct, if so the charger could work normally check sure it shuts off and all is good.
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car