lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2017, 11:55 PM   #1
Milkman22
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Battery buying.

So I have read a lot of post and threads regarding preference of batteries but I was hoping to tap into the forums knowledge when it comes to where. I need to replace the batteries in my 48v G29 but aside from picking a dealer out of the phone book, how do you all recommend going about finding where to buy batteries. Any tips or tricks?
Milkman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2017, 02:28 AM   #2
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Battery buying.

Wish I could be specific, but where I work we have 2 battery factories within 20 minutes, American battery and Royal battery. My good friend who has had his golf car rental business for over 15 years buys them from sams club.
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:30 AM   #3
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I would say first off, do a simple search if there are any battery suppliers within a decent distance from your house..not much else you can do really as far as looking where to find them. Also you may have to have your local golf cart repair shop get them for you
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #4
2016CTD
Gone Wild
Club Car

Shop around battery prices vary greatly from dealer to dealer, make sure you compare the same battery.
If you search the forum you will see the top picks seem to be Trojan, Crown, Interstate. They are all brand name batteries, I'm not saying these are the only ones there are may others being used. Also there are different grades of batteries from each company. The internet will be a great resource when searching for what you need.
2016CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #5
mckayland
Not Yet Wild

Trojans have given the best service for me. I have to drive 50 miles to buy them, though, so the last two sets I have bought are a cheaper brand from 5 miles down the road. I will never buy another set of Interstate for golf carts, though. With only a year of service, the studs started melting out of the batteries. I managed to get 3 years out of them by drilling and tapping what was left after the spur that held their stud came out. I've always liked Interstate for cars and trucks, but these batteries were a disappointment, and I let the company know it.
Butch
mckayland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #6
Seaquell
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I got mine a Costco and they are the Interstate brand.
I dont get a hint of heat anywhere in my battery system so I think my lead terminals will last.

Thats a shame that your melted maybe something was straining the system?

Costco is convenient for me , but I will say the Trojans I replaced lasted 8 years so that's something!
I just couldn't afford to buy them again so I went Interstate Costco and months so far hopefully another 6 or 7 years
Seaquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #7
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckayland View Post
Trojans have given the best service for me. I have to drive 50 miles to buy them, though, so the last two sets I have bought are a cheaper brand from 5 miles down the road. I will never buy another set of Interstate for golf carts, though. With only a year of service, the studs started melting out of the batteries. I managed to get 3 years out of them by drilling and tapping what was left after the spur that held their stud came out. I've always liked Interstate for cars and trucks, but these batteries were a disappointment, and I let the company know it.
Butch
The melted post has nothing to do with the battery being a Interstate battery. A melted post is from a loose connection or bad cable or over tightening the nut. Why do you think they lasted 3 more years after you drilled in the lead and put a bolt in to hold the cable
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #8
mckayland
Not Yet Wild

It is possible that the batteries themselves are as good as any, but without a good way to attach the cables, it makes it hard to prove how good the battery might be. The Interstates I had were made with the steel stud attached to a small spur that was cast horizontally into the lead only a quarter inch below the surface. I suspect that vibration of the battery while the golf cart is moving caused the shallow spur to work loose and heat up. The Trojans I've had also heated at the post on a couple of batteries. Their studs were beefier and cast about three-quarter inch in lead. Their studs didn't loosen until the batteries were 6 years old, nearly the end of their useful life.
Butch
mckayland is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts