lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
rmack898
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default 3 Cyl Yanmar in a G16

Ok, my name is Mac and I like diesels. After finishing a VW diesel swap in a Samurai, I started looking for a new project. I had an old beat up G16 with no motor, and I had a brand new 3 cylinder Yanmar that had been sitting under the bench in my shop for at least 2 years so I figured why not put them together.

This has got to be a low-buck build because I can't afford anymore toys. I had some new rolling stock that came off a Suzuki King Quad and I figured that would be a good place to start my build. I had to make new front hubs, and spool type adapters to get the wheels on the cart. I can't afford a fancy lift kit so I made my own. I am just now getting to the point where I will install the engine but I have to make an adapter for mounting the clutch to the engine and this kind of has me stalled for the moment. I have a stock G16 clutch and it is for a tapered shaft. If I use this clutch I have serious doubts as to how long it will hold up. It seems like most of the other clutches I see that are used in motor swaps ore for straight shafts with a keyway. I only want to make the engine/clutch adapter once.

So here is my question/dilemma: Do I machine the taper out of the G16 clutch and make it a straight bore with a keyway, or do I make the adapter with a tapered shaft like the original Yamaha engine. What is the taper of the Yamaha crankshaft?

Here's a few pics of what I have already.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 cyl yanmar2.jpg (189.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 010 (2).jpg (197.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (192.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (182.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg roller.jpg (190.3 KB, 0 views)
rmack898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2015, 10:04 PM   #2
Neverstopwheelie
Getting Wild

Default Re: 3 Cyl Yanmar in a G16

I think this is going to be a sweet build!! just make sure the engine drives the right way
Neverstopwheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:19 AM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

What model is that yanmar engine? I may be able to locate a stub shaft for it. Take a look at this thread http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/diese...ml#post1090413
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
rmack898
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The engine is a 3TNV70.
I saw the pics of the stub shaft and that's exactly what I planned on making but I just have to decide if I want to go with a tapered shaft or a straight shaft. I guess the clutch that use will determine that but I still don't know what clutch to use. That's where I can use some help from those of you that have more experience with GC power trains.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:23 PM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

What I was curious about is using the club car adapter in those pictures and have the bolt pattern redrilled for the yanmar flywheel. Then use the stock clutch. Or perhaps drill the flywheel to match the adapter. I believe all carts use a 30mm 1:10 taper.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:35 PM   #6
rmack898
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I can make the adapter to fit the 3-bolt pattern on my flywheel easy enough but the taper, expressed as 30 mm 1:10 taper has me a little confused as I have not seen taper described that way. I am used to degrees of included angle.

Do you think the stock clutch is up to the task, or should I be looking for a different clutch?

I was just out in the shop looking at the cart and now I have some suspension questions about going with a 3- link set up. I'll try to post some pics and outline what I am thinking after dinner.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:12 PM   #7
roady89
nimda
Club Car

That clutch should be fine as long as you can get it to shift out properly. If you can get the rpms up to at least 3600 on the engine it should be ok. I'd pay attention to belt alignment so not to start shredding belts.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #8
rmack898
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Well I just ordered a bunch heim joints and I'm going to make the rear a 3 link with a Watts link instead of a pan hard bar.

I better get out in the shop and get that stab shaft made and mount the clutch so I can get the motor mounts figured out before the 3 link hardware shows up.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:11 PM   #9
rmack898
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I set the engine in the cart for a trial fit and it answered a bunch of questions that were bothering me.

1. The engine fits
2. I can mount it on the same 11" center to center distance as the OEM motor.
3. I will have room to make a 3 link set up.
4. I'll have room for the fuel tank.

Now that I know it fits, I'll pull the swing arm and mount the engine on the swing arm without having to do it in the cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alignment.jpg (237.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg clutch.jpg (175.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg it fits.jpg (243.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg tight fit 1.jpg (177.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg tight fit2.jpg (198.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #10
SOOTLIFE
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

awesome!! Cant wait to see this thing in action
SOOTLIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps