lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Slamminsam
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default SlamminSam's EZGO Diesel thread

It All started with buying a Surplus Cart from BYU for $300. Yamaha G1. My friends daughter wrecked it before i got possession of it. My 11 and 7 yr old sons figured you could start it with a screwdriver, and made an unannounced trip around the block with one turning the wheel one way and the other going out of the cart the other way. Needless to say, the boss wanted it gone. Sold it for a profit at $600.

While perusing the local Ksl.com classifieds, I came across this 94 EZGO marathon GXT-804 in Taylorsville(SLC), at a golf course for $250. missing a wheel, and a dead 295 motor.it had the dump bed which i wanted. My wife wasnt real thrilled like most projects i bring home. I have a pic but can't upload that one for some reason.
Last winter i started the teardown. kind of sat in the garage ever since, while gathering parts for it.
My Friend had a used Yanmar 10HP Diesel that i had been talking to him about. It was used on a sulfur burner trailer that they werent using anymore. I bought it for $100, and then the planning began. I was trying for a 4" Allsports block lift, but the engine was too tall. so I had to plan on a bigger lift to make it all work. ended up making shackles for the front of the carriage and 8" blocks for the rear. The front axle was bent, so my nephew helped me cut it apart, widen it, and add 8" to the front. I still need to figure out a few things on the axle. welding the plates on, and steering. Im thinking i may need to use hi-misalignment heim joints to make it work. thoughts on that would greatly appreciated.
Lost my job in May, and my nephew let me work for him on the farm for the summer until i could find another job. Really saved my bacon there.
I would keep plugging at getting little things here and there until i think i almost have what i need. and then some in some cases.
I got the bed all tore apart and the sides were rusted through, as well as the bed floor. i had some new bed sides bent up, and my bro gave me a sheet of 1/4" treadplate aluminum for the floor. i blasted the rest of the bed and painted it black while bed lining the inside of the bed. i need to finish assembling the bed and need a bushing which cant be purchased.
My wife has a vinyl cutter so im having her make me some EZGO stickers and some that say oil burner too.
I went with Kenda bear claw tires 23" but wishing i had went with a 25" instead.
still need some shocks, connect everything up, some bling and electrical(lights, stereo, winch)
Im finally posting this so it will keep me going until i consider it done, although they never are...
Last night i fired up the diesel, and the smoke was thick and heavy.
just like smelling burnt rubber at Nascar.....
the exhaust will be provided by a Yamaha YZF 450. It will need it that popper is loud uncapped.
The push bar i got from a police Cruiser on ksl.com, and cut some of the height out of it to fit the cart. was going to narrow it, but decided against it.
i have an Alpine stereo and Memphis audio speakers im going to put it. I tried speaker pods, and didnt like the fit, so, Im going with 6" PVC pipe caps. Ill have a friend cut the hole on a lathe since i dont have access anymore.
The clutches were hammered, I took the drive clutch apart and gave it some love, works great now. the Driven clutch was real hammered. the Helix was ground up, i cleaned it up, replaced the buttons, and put it on the lathe. I had to machine some off to get it to clean up, figuring it was so shot i had nothing to lose.
OK, now ive Rambled long enough....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golfcart.jpg (139.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg golfcart2.jpg (169.0 KB, 0 views)
Slamminsam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, ez-go, lift, marathon, oil burner
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps