lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
Derek Pulcini
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 Clutch problem?

hi yall im new to all of this and just trying to look for some insight. i recently bought a g1 and when i start the cart and step on the gas the cart takes off and then quicky slows to a crawl and itll stay at a carwl and then eventually stops but the cart will stay idleing. At first i thought maybe the carberator but after further tinkering i thought maybe the clutch? i noticed that when the cart comes to a stop but is still at idle it almost feels the clutch my be slipping like its trying to go and then if i use my body weight to try and nudge the cart forward itll move again. but if i just let the cart sit for about 20 seconds after it comes to a stop and not try to nudge it along itll start right back up and take off and then cralw once again. i was going to take the carb off at some point this week and try an clean it but i figured i check here and see if any of you could help me out and possible give me some insight before i go and do that. any info would be greatly appreciated i dont know too much about these thanks alot!
Derek Pulcini is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Clutch problem?

With the cart off, lift the body up and inspect the clutches. Look at the big clutch (primary clutch) and see if the insides of the beveled part (sheaves) are clean. If it's dirty, muddy, or greasy it will cause the belt to slip and not "grab". Also look at the belt. Is it frayed or cracked or worn? The belt should measure at least 1" or 1 1/16" minimum. If it's less then it is worn. The rear clutch (secondary) also needs inspected for dirt, mud, grease. You can run the cart while on jack stands and let the engine run and watch the clutches to see if they engage properly and shift properly. Do a search on youtube and look for "golf cart belt" or "golf cart clutch" and you'll find some videos that'll show you what it looks like when the clutches run properly.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Here's some videos.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
Derek Pulcini
Not Yet Wild

The belt Is good. but I'll definitely put her up on some stands and check out the clutches and clean them. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 09-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
prat177
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

If it runs decent on the jack, take the carb apart and clean out the jets. Sounds like what my G1 was doing. Check needle and seat, make sure floats in good shape, and clean out jets.
prat177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The starter turns when ever the pedal is down, so if the engine does not run or quits running....the starter keeps turning the engine over. Since stock clutches drag on the belt it can nearly be enough to move the cart a little...but the engine is not running and that is the issue you have. If the engine is running and the belt were slipping, you would hear the engine rev and make noise like it was going fast (when you pushed down on the pedal).
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I agree, if the engine isn't running then you probably have a fuel delivery problem or an ignition problem. I'd also check compression to verify that.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
Derek Pulcini
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys for all the help haven't had a chance to look at it yet I'll probably get to it this weekend I'll let y'all know what I discover.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
Derek Pulcini
Not Yet Wild

Alright guys I got to the golf cart this weekend it ended up being a bad fuel pump so I replaced the pump an the fuel lines because they looked a bit dry rotted. I also replaced the carb. I had the cart running great all day Friday it would spit an sputter a little but for the most part it was great! But then I went to go run it Sunday an i got it half way down the block an it died on me the generator was running but the motor wasn't an then I smelt gas and looked to find gas spewing out of the exhaust an the vent or air intake? On the side of the motor my neighbor who is pretty good with mechanics seems to think I may have a blown head gasket... You gotta be kidding me!!!! The guy I bought my parts from is going to look at it if indeed it is a head gasket I'm not going to throw any more money at it and just part it out. What I was considering doing though is parting out the engine an and leaving the drive train in tact an getting a replacement engine I was at tractor supply co this past weekend an they have quite a few to choose from from Honda to Briggs an Stratton if I choose to go this route do any of you guys have any suggestion? What size do y'all think? And would it even match up to the drive train? One again thank you guys for all your help y'all been great!!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You should find out what is wrong with it, the engine has to run to pump fuel and it does not pump that much. Unlikely its a head gasket but possible, but not much trouble to toss one on either.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
g1 clutch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha