lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
pat fowler
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Electric problem ?

I have a CC # QP0399 that I have only had about two months now. Have been completely happy with it but have a concern, should there be a voltage reading of 42v when checked between the positive on the # 1 battery and the frame. I understood that electric carts are a floating ground and does not involve the frame. Am I incorrect or do I have a problem? Thanks in advance for any replies.
pat fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: Electric problem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat fowler View Post
I have a CC # QP0399 that I have only had about two months now. Have been completely happy with it but have a concern, should there be a voltage reading of 42v when checked between the positive on the # 1 battery and the frame. I understood that electric carts are a floating ground and does not involve the frame. Am I incorrect or do I have a problem? Thanks in advance for any replies.
You should not see any voltage when tested against your frame. By any chance do you have turn signals? I found that I had a ground going to my frame through the turn signal switch mounted on my steering column and just isolated it by using electrical tape on the column where the clamp made contact. I'd also check for any accessories that might have been added by others if that could have been the case as well.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Try taking the batteries out and cleaning out the racks with baking soda and water... also, wipe down the sides of the batteries with the baking soda.... Then hose off the tops of the batteries.. I've seen this a lot. It happens when the acid boils out of the batteries and drips down the sides, and actually conducts power into the frame of the vehicle.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
pat fowler
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

TahoeDawg, I think you may have hit it, my batteries always seem to have some seepage and I have cleaned them and used baking soda but they continue to do this. I don't believe that I have over filled but maybe so. I had a electrician friend test for current and he says that there is none. When we tested for voltage the readings will continuously jump around from almost nothing to 35 volts but again testing for current shows nothing. Thanks for the reply. Pat.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

With that much seepage and if you are not putting too much distilled water in your batterys it sounds like they are getting weak? Also if you are using a Club Car charger and its turning off after bringing batterys to full charge then the OBC seems to be working ok. I would do a hydrometer check with a single float unit ( not a multi float antifeeze unit ) with temperature scale correction on each cell at least one hour after charging and compare to STICKIES above titled "State of Charge Readings" Ill bet you find one or more weak cells in one or more batterys?
It seem strange but often on Club Car numbers 5 and 6 batterys ( under driver ) seem to go first?
Hope this helps.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
pat fowler
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the info Old Mec, I'll have to pick up a hydrometer and check things out. I was told when I bought this cart a couple of months ago that the batteries were new this spring but none of the date codes have been punched out so I don't know how old they may be. I am using a CC charger and it does kick off on it's own and the batteries seem to hold a good charge. I use this cart only on weekends and have been only recharging at the end of the stay but after all the info I have found here I have started recharging at the end of each day. Thanks again.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

What brand of batterys do you have? If I'm correct you should have either 12 volt cart ( NOT AUTO ) batterys ( 6 water fill caps ) OR 8 volt ( 4 water fill caps ) cart batterys, BUT it almost sounds like auto type batterys when you talk about date codes not being punched out, I sure hope not? This could be a reason for acid seepage as C C charger is made for heavier duty batterys, and can cause high heat?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

What kind of batteries are they?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Old Mec, Interstate Golf car batteries also have a spot to punch out date code..... Code is also stamped in post but has the place for the sale date to be punched as well.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
pat fowler
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I'm really not sure who made the batteries they say AMERICAN BATTERY CO. I will call and find out who they are actuary made by in the morning. They are distributed by a company in my area. I don't believe they are automotive batteries.Will get back to you when I get some more info. Thanks again, Pat.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car