lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2019, 07:29 PM   #1
CoachBob
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default ‘85 Marathon 2 Stroke survivor

Hello all.
Just picked up one of these and am in the process of freshening things up. Was smoking bad when i got it, and told was sitting in warehouse for years. Compression reads 130, so figured i was in okay shape to try other remedies. I’ve removed and cleaned the carb, changed filters, removed and cleaned gas tank, changed plug. Not sure what was in the fuel tank when i got it but the injection tank seems to be good 2 stroke oil. Wondering how best to check the oil pump. I was just going to disconnect the hose and turn it over to look for pumping, but figured I’d check. I’d like to use the injection if it’s reliable. Also, this has an electric fuel pump on it. The diaphragm pump was still in place so i pulled it assuming diaphragms were shot but it looked okay. Is it generally better to run electric on these?

Thank you!
Coach
CoachBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: ‘85 Marathon 2 Stroke survivor

The 85 manual is below.

My opinion is that the electric fuel pump is more hassle than it's worth, and that the oil injection is not reliable. Most people remove the injection, and mix 128:1.

I have to wonder why the electric pump was installed. Maybe the original quit pumping, or somebody was troubleshooting, or the seals were bad earlier. We will never know.

You say it smokes, so it must be running. That means the piston is in the right way even though the compression is better than factory.

Tell us more about the cart, and what you think about it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
ironrat
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBob View Post
Hello all.
Just picked up one of these and am in the process of freshening things up. Was smoking bad when i got it, and told was sitting in warehouse for years. Compression reads 130, so figured i was in okay shape to try other remedies. I’ve removed and cleaned the carb, changed filters, removed and cleaned gas tank, changed plug. Not sure what was in the fuel tank when i got it but the injection tank seems to be good 2 stroke oil. Wondering how best to check the oil pump. I was just going to disconnect the hose and turn it over to look for pumping, but figured I’d check. I’d like to use the injection if it’s reliable. Also, this has an electric fuel pump on it. The diaphragm pump was still in place so i pulled it assuming diaphragms were shot but it looked okay. Is it generally better to run electric on these?

Thank you!
Coach
You say it was smoking bad, was it black or blue, black is gas blueish is oil. The only oil to burn is the two stroke oil in the tank unless someone mixed oil in the gas and didn't disconnect the oil injection. Read the manual on how to adjust the oil injection pump.
ironrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Or if the oil injection has failed in the open position and dumping way too much oil in the carb.

Or if the muffler is in bad need of a bbq

Either will.cause excessive smoke
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:12 PM   #5
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Great find, I have an 85 Marathon that's been my favorite buggy out of all I've had. They're pretty much bullet proof and fun to pimp out too lol, Here's a few pics of mine. I finally had to do an engine rebuild 2 years ago after owning it for almost 20 years.....

Mine didn't have the oil injection system when I bought it, I don't think it ever did from the factory. Strange how some did and some didn't in that year, but I would have removed it anyway. It's less moving parts to worry about plus with mixing you know it's right and consistent everytime, and it's an easy mix too at 1oz oil to 1 gallon of gas. The convenience thing isn't worth it to me compared to what happens if/when a 35 year old oil injection pump goes bad....

I've had to buy a couple fuel pumps for mine through the years and was thinking about going to electric if it happens again, Since you already have one installed (if it's in good working order) I'd say use it. But remove the old pump and plug the hole, it's threaded so it'd be easy and it would eliminate the possibility of sucking air in the crankcase with that old pump/gasket/insulator....

Most of us here remove the governor too, it'll bring new life to the way it performs. I owned mine all of about 15 minutes before I disabled it, went from a 12mph dog to a 22mph screamer lol.......

Good Luck and post pics, We like pics in here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180514_190716.jpg (463.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180514_192312.jpgcccc.jpg (331.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180514_190547.jpgccccc.jpg (294.0 KB, 0 views)
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:34 PM   #6
CoachBob
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you all for the replies. I tested the oil pump and there was no flow at the intake. I tested the fuel pump pulse port and there was no reading. On the crankcase pressure, can i assume i have a bad crank seal? I’m hearing a loud noise on shutdown that i believe is a spin crank bearing but maybe someone can chime in on that. Here is a pic and video. I guess i can’t post video yet?
Old 12-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
CoachBob
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FC9407B7-4441-43F0-A00F-1BC1FD5B80A9.jpg (26.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-20-2019, 09:30 PM   #8
CoachBob
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
Great find, I have an 85 Marathon that's been my favorite buggy out of all I've had. They're pretty much bullet proof and fun to pimp out too lol, Here's a few pics of mine. I finally had to do an engine rebuild 2 years ago after owning it for almost 20 years.....

Mine didn't have the oil injection system when I bought it, I don't think it ever did from the factory. Strange how some did and some didn't in that year, but I would have removed it anyway. It's less moving parts to worry about plus with mixing you know it's right and consistent everytime, and it's an easy mix too at 1oz oil to 1 gallon of gas. The convenience thing isn't worth it to me compared to what happens if/when a 35 year old oil injection pump goes bad....

I've had to buy a couple fuel pumps for mine through the years and was thinking about going to electric if it happens again, Since you already have one installed (if it's in good working order) I'd say use it. But remove the old pump and plug the hole, it's threaded so it'd be easy and it would eliminate the possibility of sucking air in the crankcase with that old pump/gasket/insulator....

Most of us here remove the governor too, it'll bring new life to the way it performs. I owned mine all of about 15 minutes before I disabled it, went from a 12mph dog to a 22mph screamer lol.......

That’s very nice Dabble! I know I’ll have some body panel questions for you down the road.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #9
sand dune coon
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post

Dabble Inn, great looking cart. Who makes your enclosure? Almost looks custom.
sand dune coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:57 PM   #10
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It does look good
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO