lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
Dustin Mustangs
Not Yet Wild

Question Help with Rhox upgradable LED light kit wiring

I have this kit (lgt-306e8l) installed and working but the lights and accessories have power even with the cart key in the off position. Is this how they are supposed to work? Is there a way to wire this so the lights and accessories can only operate with the cart key in the on position??

I also have the high low beam harness (lgt-169) which is listed as an accessory for this light kit but it did not come with any instructions and I can't find anything about it in the instructions that came with the light kit. How is this hooked up? I see labeled wires mentioning low beams by where the front light plugs into the main harness and also in the part of the harness that is behind the dash. And is the push button switch for this typically dash mounted or floor mounted for foot operation??

Finally, I also got a battery level meter... do I have to wire this straight to the batteries? And I assume it gets the full 48v?? What gauge wire is appropriate and does it need a fuse???

The cart is a 2013 Precedent 6 x 8v...

TIA!
Dustin Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Help with Rhox upgradable LED light kit wiring

Welcome to BGW.

I can't help you out with the High/Low beams.

But the wires for the Volt meter are in the dash. You can either use the two wires available or the negative wire of the pair, and the switched side of the key.
Option 1 means the volt meter displays all the time, and option 2 turns the meter on when the key is on.

Just did that upgrade on my 2013 a few weeks ago.

Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Mustangs View Post
I have this kit (lgt-306e8l) installed and working but the lights and accessories have power even with the cart key in the off position. Is this how they are supposed to work?
yes they are meant to be powered all the time

Is there a way to wire this so the lights and accessories can only operate with the cart key in the on position??
yes it can be done but we would need more info

I also have the high low beam harness (lgt-169) which is listed as an accessory for this light kit but it did not come with any instructions and I can't find anything about it in the instructions that came with the light kit. How is this hooked up? I see labeled wires mentioning low beams by where the front light plugs into the main harness and also in the part of the harness that is behind the dash. And is the push button switch for this typically dash mounted or floor mounted for foot operation??
floor...there is usally a factory hole in the floor bourd next to the brake pedal

Finally, I also got a battery level meter... do I have to wire this straight to the batteries? yes and no ... you can key it to turn off with the key switch And I assume it gets the full 48v??yes

What gauge wire is appropriate
16g wire to pack positive and pack negative

does it need a fuse??? yes 20amp

The cart is a 2013 Precedent 6 x 8v...

TIA!

Welcome to BGW
Old 04-25-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
Dustin Mustangs
Not Yet Wild

Ok, so I did have those two wires behind the dash for the power meter. One was ground and one was roughly the same voltage as I was reading at the batteries. That is a closed case, it works great and was a piece of cake once I started poking around with the multimeter.

I found a bit of a wiring diagram (attached) for the high low harness but am still a bit puzzled about how it is intended to be done. I found the grey male bullet mentioned but was not able to find 12v. That side of the harness is only 12 inches or so long and has what I would call a piggy back spade on the end that would allow a double connection to an existing spade terminal. I can't seem to find 12v anywhere, only 16 or 48, let alone within 12 inches from a floor mounted switch location. Everything else in this kit was super simple to hook up, I must be overlooking how this is supposed to be done? Any ideas??

Also, I would love to hear more about converting the lights and accessories to only operate with the cart switch on if anyone has details on that. I am worried I, or more likely my kids, will inadvertently damage the batteries with it set up the way it is now.

Thanks again for any help and for the warm welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LGT-169.jpg (115.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-25-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
crash test dummy

Quote:
Also, I would love to hear more about converting the lights and accessories to only operate with the cart switch on if anyone has details on that. I am worried I, or more likely my kids, will inadvertently damage the batteries with it set up the way it is now
you can wire in a reducer like this with key switch

i am looking into the hi/low roxy stuff
Old 04-25-2017, 08:25 PM   #6
crash test dummy

do you have this kit ??

Old 04-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #7
Dustin Mustangs
Not Yet Wild

Yep, that is the one. There are two longer leads with female bullets that seem redundant and a third shorter lead with that piggy back spade. One switch position show continuity between either bullet and the spade, the other position does not. The grey bullet on the headlight harness that is mentioned in my diagram came connected to another lead. Leave them like that = low beam. Disconnect them = high beam. I could make an extension and put the switch between those two wires but it seems that is not what they intended. Not only are the connectors wrong, but the wires would not reach.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:04 PM   #8
crash test dummy

Quote:
There are two longer leads with female bullets
that would go to each light

the note says

this is just a guess

Old 04-26-2017, 04:57 PM   #9
Dustin Mustangs
Not Yet Wild

Well, thanks to Jason at Jasonsgolfcarts.com, they made me some instructions! Pretty clear now, apparently it is intended to be dash mounted.

Thanks again for the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4386.jpg (84.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4387.jpg (37.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-26-2017, 06:08 PM   #10
crash test dummy

cool ... will put it in my iles
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car