lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Sal3
Not Yet Wild

Default 09 CC precedent

I have a 2009 cc precedent with new us 12v batteries. Before changing the batteries, the charger would shut off automatically , but after changing them, it won't. Cables are run correctly, but I'm not sure if it's the obc or the charger. Any troubleshooting tips or thoughts appreciated.
Sal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 09 CC precedent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal3 View Post
I have a 2009 cc precedent with new us 12v batteries. Before changing the batteries, the charger would shut off automatically , but after changing them, it won't. Cables are run correctly, but I'm not sure if it's the obc or the charger. Any troubleshooting tips or thoughts appreciated.
How long was the charger on before you noticed it hasn't shut off? The charger is designed to shut off automatically after 16 hours.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
Sal3
Not Yet Wild

Not sure, but I'll run my cart down a little today and throw it back on the charge. They have a full charge now and I don't want to boil them. I'll repost late tonight or tomorow after the shutoff time is up. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Not sure, but I'll run my cart down a little today and throw it back on the charge. They have a full charge now and I don't want to boil them. I'll repost late tonight or tomorow after the shutoff time is up. Thanks!
Since they are new batteries, the first few charges will be longer and the time will decrease as you properly break them in. I just replaced mine and the first couple of charges where longer and have noticed less time as they get broken in.

Here is a good read on break in. Follow it and your batteries will be happy..

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Sal3
Not Yet Wild

Ok, not sure what's going on. I put the charger on at 8:15 am . It's now 11am and it's still pegged at 15 amps. Battery gauge on my cart is past the green and the "CHG" points and is now in the red. Orange battery light comes on as well. I unplugged it and all seems fine. I will wait for responses.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
DJBlade
Gone Wild

Club Car

Let those batteries charge. New batteries need to go through the entire charge cycle. It may take upwards of 10 to 16 hours. As you charge them more and more, the time will come down. It is important for them to enter the "boiling stage" which isn't boiling at all. It is just hydrogen bubbles and at this stage, the charge is trying to equalize all the batteries to the same charge level. Don't worry about the charger being "pegged" at 15. I was worried about that with my first cart too. It will come down....It may take awhile but if it is still going after 16 hours, shut if off then and start looking for problems.
DJBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
Sal3
Not Yet Wild

What about the battery light and the guage being past the fully charged point?
Old 07-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
DJBlade
Gone Wild

Club Car

The gauge being past the "full" point is because it is still connected to the charger. During charging, the batteries will have as high as 63 volts being sent to them. Your meter, if it is the bar type, is just a representation of how full the batteries are as a percentage. So if you are hooked up to the charger, it will read full because of the load being sent by the charger. If you want to see the actual number, you can get a digital meter and read it. Andy, and ScottyB have those for sale. They can get you into one if you want.

The link previously posted will have lots of information about batteries, and is a good read. As for the battery light, I will defer that to someone who knows, but I have seen them come on during the charge cycle before.

Anyone else have some ideas?
DJBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
Sal3
Not Yet Wild

Gotcha! Thanks for the help!
Old 07-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
Dhenryjr
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
What about the battery light and the guage being past the fully charged point?
Sal, my best opinion for you is to invest in a voltage meter right on the cart. ScottyB here has a great one, its easy to install and you always know the state of charge of the battery, unlike a graph or needle type meter.
Dhenryjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger problems
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car