lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2019, 08:07 AM   #1
TSGarp007
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Options for Club Car Precedent PD mod to 20+ speed

Hi all,

Hoping for some friendly advice on a fairly common question... I feel the need for speed! Well, actually, the state of Florida and a few noisy neighbors have me trying to convert my cart to a low speed vehicle so I can legally drive it to the community pool, etc.

I have a 2013 Club Car Precedent. Serial is PD1309-... Buggiesunlimited document describes this as a Precedent I2L Excel. It has original motor and controller, speed code 4, 48V batteries, stock wheels. Best I have seen is 19 mph. I'd prefer to actually have it over 20 mph to satisfy inspection guy, although not entirely sure they'll actually speed test it.

I was hoping for the quick magnet fix, but previous threads indicate no dice for an Excel cart. Looking for recommendations on how to proceed. Is a controller my only option? Prefer to keep the wheels/tires stock.

Thanks for the help!
TSGarp007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2019, 08:31 AM   #2
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Options for Club Car Precedent PD mod to 20+ speed

A controller will definitely get you over 20mph. It can also add multiple levels of performance this is great if you have kids that may use the cart. I would suggest going with at least a 400 or 500amp controller. The cost isnt going to be that much more and will open you up to a world of aftermarket motors if and when you would ever decide to upgrade.

My experience is limited to alltrax controllers but the level of access to all of the settings is awesome and easily understood with a bit of reading. You could set it up to be as mild as the stock controller and only gain speed or you can set it up to peel tire. Completely up to you.

I would suggest reading up on a few controller options and see if you feel its worth the money or not. As far as keeping the stock controller and making it faster I'm not sure. I've read what could be hoax posts about speed codes 5 and maybe even 6 if memory serves me right. I've never flashed a stock controller I have no idea what they are capable of. Hopefully Pingeye or Sergio will comment with info on the OEM controllers.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #3
scmoose
Gone Wild

I just put the 300 amp alltrax in my otherwise stock precedent and can get 23.5 mph on flat ground, seen 24 down the small hills in my hood. Batteries are brand new with 2 gage wires as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
scmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:32 AM   #4
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would suggest contacting this guy: http://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/. He is a site sponsor and gives 2nd to none customer service. Tell him what your looking for, he'll give you "best bang for the buck" options.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Yeah, an Alltrax XCT will give you what you need and is the best bang for your buck in regards to amperage and speed with your own controlability. David at Revolution Golf Cars will have the products and service to get you there.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #6
TSGarp007
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks everyone. Controller may be my best option...

Also, Go Noles!
TSGarp007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:59 PM   #7
Jack Daniels
Not Yet Wild

How was the increase in torque?
Jack Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:00 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Yeah, an Alltrax XCT will give you what you need and is the best bang for your buck in regards to amperage and speed with your own controlability. David at Revolution Golf Cars will have the products and service to get you there.
Thanks. I recommend our level 3 package. Speeds will be around 24-26 MPH on stock tires and near 30 MPH on a lifted cart with 23" tires. Acceleration will be firm and strong. The ability to maintain speed while climbing an incline (yes I know, there's no hills in Florida) will be tremendous and you will not experience much speed loss on a hill unless it's really steep.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:24 AM   #9
inmanlanier
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm a little late in this game, but for your information - in Florida carts not faster than 20mph CAN drive on public roads with some limitations. To quote the state webpage:

Golf carts may be operated on roadways that are designated for golf carts with a posted speed limit of 30 mph or less. Golf carts may also cross a portion of a county road which intersects a roadway that is approved for golf carts, or that intersects a golf course or mobile home park. In both examples the roadway should have signs posted that golf carts share the roadway. I post that just FYI. As an additional clarifyer - if you do other DOT mod requirements and register your cart, you can then drive on roads with posted limits up to 35 mph.

Regarding speed, we recently acquired a 2014 Precedent and also have the desire to go faster. From what I have read the stock GE motors are marginal if you try and go faster with higher amperage controllers. I'm lucky in that right outside my neighborhood is a shop called Reliable Golf Carts. They specialize in mods and upgrades and have been doing speed mods for over 20 years. It's family owned and run - they are very good people. They prefer Navitas controllers, however when I mentioned my desires - they also said that my stock motor will not hold up long term with a 300A controller.

They then pointed out that they could do a motor only that would get me 26 maybe 27 mph with a slight gain in torque keeping the Club Car controller. We also swapped the battery leads from 6 Ga to 4 Ga. welding cable. Sure enough, that afternoon I dropped it off and the next afternoon I cruised home at 27 mph. With my wife and grandchild, 25 mph. We're pleased with the nominal torque gain (although we were happy with stock).
inmanlanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:55 PM   #10
Rexwood
Not Yet Wild

I have a 2012 Precedent. I bought the 300 amp Alltrax controller from Revolution Golf carts and I am extremely satisfied. I have a lift and 22" tires. Top steep is 27 to 28 GPS. Pretty good torque too.

Rex
Rexwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car, excel, i2l, precedent, speed
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car