lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!
On Road Golf Carts! Low to the ground Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2016, 01:13 AM   #1
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default RXV chassis based road car

I've been thinking about building one of these for a while now. It's a single seat race car with the chassis dimensions really close to that of a golf cart. I wanted something lightweight and aerodynamic.

I bought an RXV chassis, stripped it down to the wishbone. I cut and welded the dash frame roof supports to match the angle of the windshield frame. I had the wishbone and the dash frame sandblasted and powdercoated.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Body.jpg (49.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg RXV Chassis.jpg (439.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012RXVrearaxle.jpg (524.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg RXV Frame 3.jpg (581.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg RXV Frame 8.jpg (163.0 KB, 0 views)
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2016, 01:17 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV chassis based road car

These Bandelero body panels are available from uslegendcars.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front.jpg (28.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Rear.jpg (33.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Dash.jpg (34.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Left Door.jpg (32.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Right Door.jpg (34.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-04-2016, 01:20 AM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

More body panels and other parts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roof.jpg (30.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Bumper Cover.jpg (36.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Front Bumper.jpg (39.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Rear Bumper.jpg (37.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Windshield.jpg (41.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

That is awesome!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:30 PM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
That is awesome!
I certainly hope so. I went to US Legend Cars and toured the factory floor. I examined how those race cars are built, took measurements, and settled on the best model for what I am after. Aerodynamics was one of my primary criteria. Prior to this tour, I had considered buying one of their race car chassis and to try to adapt it for my use. After examining the suspension travel (or lack thereof) and other chassis limitations, I decided to stick with the RXV frame I had already bought. It will weigh more at the frame level, but weight can be saved elsewhere by having a full frame under the car.

In a race car chassis, doors are fixed and do not open. The roof hinges open and you climb in through the center of that opening. It uses a tubular roll cage that surrounds the driver. If I were to cut door openings in the sides of the race car chassis, it loses too much integrity. I want functional doors, so I will have to build an upper roll cage that bolts down to the RXV frame that allows the door openings to open outward, yet are solid enough when closed to still protect the driver in a possible side impact.

I also need a fully functional suspension, to handle real world road driving conditions. Race cars have a luxury of smooth pavement, with little need to be concerned with bumps, potholes, and obstructions in the roadway. Road cars do not have that luxury.

With typical EV/NEV design, we do not have as much concern for weight, so we are free to use conventional and well proven automotive design. This project has requirements that are similar to a race car. Keeping safety and weight reduction as primary goals, there will be technologies employed to make the vehicle more energy efficient. I want lower power consumption for propulsion as well as for lighting and climate control. I intend to use 200 A/H of LiFePO4 as the primary 48V traction pack.

Bob
Old 12-04-2016, 02:29 PM   #6
TopherAndTick
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have watched those legends and bandeleros race before. Never thought about having one for the street. That's gonna be awesome.
TopherAndTick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:46 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Where on the priority list is "performance", as in acceleration? Top speed requirements (or minimums) will partly be set by the governing authority who issues titles/registration.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:05 AM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Where on the priority list is "performance", as in acceleration? Top speed requirements (or minimums) will partly be set by the governing authority who issues titles/registration.
There will be no title or registration requirement. This will have a registration exempt plate in place of a tag, referring to the pertinant exemption. This exemption declares that compliant vehicles are not legally defined as 'motor vehicles' under the law, and are exempt from motor vehicle regulation requirements. I will put in appropriate lighting and safety equipment, but that will be because I want it, not because it is regulated to be there. The appropriate regulation is in the 'mobility aid' exemption, so it only applies to drivers that are legally handicapped. I meet that requirement.

Factory 13" wheels with 22" outer diameter road tires from US Legend Cars will help increase the upper speed limit. Programming will take me the rest of the way. I have examined the pertinant regulations carefully, and unlike EV and NEV regulations, there are no minimum or maximum speed requirements. My other exempt vehicle that I built many years ago has a 35 MPH top end. My target for this vehicle is 45 MPH or more.

Bob
Old 12-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Bob you go see Robbie at Plum Quick and check out the RXV he is building.. Well it looks like an RXV
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:15 PM   #10
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Interesting! I'll be watching this build.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!