lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
Hullman8
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default 1972 Harley 3-wheel Gasser - Throttle cable attachment to gas pedal

Hi, I got an old 3-wheel gasser from my dad and it appears the throttle cable mechanism that connects to the gas pedal either missing or not working properly. I believe this is a 1972 model D based on the serial number. Having no pictures to go by or videos on how it works, I'm wondering if anybody can tell me or show me how the gas pedal operates the throttle cable. I saw in another thread that this has a reverse throttle, meaning since it is disconnected from my gas pedal it would be wide open. This all makes sense, I just can't figure out how the gas pedal releases tension on the cable. Picture of the serial number tag is attached with some admittedly low quality pictures of the throttle cable missing a nut near the gas pedal. It was night when I took the pics so if they are too bad, then I can try to get some others in daylight. This is a great forum with lots of good information, so apologies if I missed this in a previous thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191022_204530398.jpg (204.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191022_204615078.jpg (206.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191022_204641975.jpg (189.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191022_204717710.jpg (203.1 KB, 0 views)
Hullman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1972 Harley 3-wheel Gasser - Throttle cable attachment to gas pedal

It looks like everything there is just right. The throttle works like this:

The accelerator has a spring which is clear in your pics and so does the carburetor itself. These two springs contradict each other as they want to pull the cable in opposite directions.

While the cart was running, if you took the throttle cable off of carb the throttle butterfly would snap wide open and the cart would be screaming as the accelerator spring isn't pulling it closed. So, when you press the accelerator the carb spring pulls allows the carb to open. When you release the accelerator the pedal spring pulls the carb closed.

Make sense?
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:34 PM   #3
Hullman8
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Thanks. And yes, all that makes sense. If you say everything looks right, then something is not operating right on mine. When I push my gas pedal, the bracket holding the throttle cable doesn't move (so the cable doesn't get pulled). It appears to be stuck in the full throttle position and will not spring back with the gas pedal (edit: I've sprayed with WD-40 and let it sit for a day, and will daily spray and gently persuade with a rubber mallet until it freely moves)

I was hoping to get a pic or video of somebody's from the bottom so I could see how the mechanism works at the gas pedal. That way I can see exactly what is wrong with mine and get it going again.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
Hullman8
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

I've also got to get a nut for the end of the throttle cable....whatever size that is. Looks like it's time to buy the variety pack and cross my fingers.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:04 PM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Unfortunately, my carts are 110 miles away so I can get a pic for another 2 weeks when I am at camp again.

You will have no problem getting a nut. They are all standard SAE stuff.

Regarding the cable, it's very common for those to freeze up. You want to disengage both sides and see if you can move the cable back and forth in the sheath. Assuming it's original the lube that was in there is very old and this point. Even it it's not original those cables only last a decade or so.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:32 PM   #6
Hullman8
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Great, thanks! I'll see if I can get that bracket broke free and order a new cable. The cable definitely froze up since I couldn't move it either way with my pliers from either end.

It seems that once the bracket moves (and the cable), then everything else makes sense. That bracket is my major issue being stuck, and the cable is the other half of the equation. I'm nearly certain that cable is original and this cart sat for at least three years without being used.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

You will know if it's an original cable if it's one of the metal spiral wound ones. "Newer" ones are all vinyl look similar to what are on bicycles. If it's original there is just about a 100% chance that it will need replaced.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:55 PM   #8
Hullman8
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

It was definitely the throttle cable. It was seized up. Once the new one was installed, all the linkage at the pedal worked great. Quick adjustments to the throttle lever at the carb had it opening and closing fully. Only problem was the kids took the cotter pin for the attachment to the pedal linkage, so that's long gone. Bent wire nail to the rescue. Once I hunt down the electrical issue I'll have a usable toy.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson