lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
csmdew
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Battery/Motor Cables

I've got 4ga cables on batteries but have an EMP motor and was wondering if I should I put 4ga to all connectors (motor, f/r selector, solenoid, etc) or would it be better to jump to 2 ga. wire. I ask about the 2 ga because I only have a Curtis controller for now. Also is the welding cable good for the motor connections as well as the batteries or would sgx cable be better, thanks.

Also what size controller would be good but not overkill. Thanks
csmdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery/Motor Cables

For starters, ALL of your high current cables should be the same size. as for the other questions you have, we would really need to know more about your cart.

what year model is your cart....
36v or 48v?
if 36v, do you intend to or might think about upgrading to 48v in the future?
which drive system?
do you intend to upgrade the controller/solenoid/f&r?
larger wheels/tires? what size....?
what do you use your cart for? what type of service?
is it flat/hilly/or really hilly where you use your cart?
street? off road? or a combo...
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
csmdew
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

02 ezgo,36v (no 4 fleet series with 10" wheels; mostly just running up the street and around property which is mostly flat w/small inclines...What would I need to change to go to a larger controller to get full benies out of the emp motor or is this Curtis enough, thanks
Old 08-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I used to have a 2 speed EMP motor. I burnt it up twice putting too many amps into it trying to get more torque. Chuck over at EMP recommends around 400 amps max.

You do need to make sure that all cables are the same. I would go with 2ga welding cable if it were me regardless of what controller you end up with. ScottyB who is a site sponsor sells some great cables at a good price. You might want to check with him.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

you mentioned the wheel size, what size tires are you running.....I'm going to guess either 22's or 23's....correct??

do you know the EMP motor model number? if so, and as ab46501 mentioned, and what I would recommend, would first contact EMP and ask them specifically what the largest amp controller they tell you can run.

as cables go, you do need at least 4 ga, but 2 ga is better, and welding cable is the way to go, as it has a higher strand count, thus its not only more flexible, but can carry more amperage.

If EMP recommends a max of 400 amp Controller, go to CartsUnlimited.net or call and tell ScottyB how your cart is currently set up and he will steer you in the right direction. but you will need a larger controller, a SD Solenoid, HD F&R switch, and 2 ga cable set to ensure your cart will perform the way you want and not let you down.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
csmdew
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

22/10/10 and I think I'll just make up the rest of the 4ga since I have the lugs and plenty of welding cable; once I run out of the 4ga I'll switch to 2ga and get bigger controller but no need to waste it. Also just finished great grand-daughter's cart, except her new seat and my new seat, so I've spent a small fortune on batteries, tires, and lots of other parts. Thanks for help and info.

And by-the-way, I have already sent email to emp asking about controllers for this motor. Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO