lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Horn Wiring

I need help or conformation understanding how to wire up a horn from my 12v converter on my 48v cart. I have a horn button (2 post), a resister (4 post), and a single horn (2 post). I understand the resister wires #85 to 12v converter negative; #86 to horn button; #87 to the horn, and #30 from 12v converter positive. Is this the correct hookup?

The converter positive is fused from the 48v batteries. Do I need to fuse the power to the horn button?

Thanks
Checkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Horn Wiring

If what you are calling a resister is a relay, sounds good, I would add a fuse for good measure.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Checkride, your close.. I usually run a fused 12 volt + wire from the converter to the relay terminal 30 and run a jumper from it to 86, 87 goes to the horn +, 85 goes to one terminal of the horn switch, the other goes to ground and the horn - . Just my 2 cents and I think it saves some wire..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
If what you are calling a resister is a relay, sounds good, I would add a fuse for good measure.
LOL, Well DOOmsman, technically speaking I want the relay to resist my battery supply from unnecessarily giving up more power than that which is absolutely required under a specific request to produce.

Thanks for the correction.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have an inverter on my cart as well. Just for good measure I added a 10 fuse panel on the 12volt output of my inverter. That keeps me from having all these individual fuses in lines throughout the cart. When I add an accessory I just have to hook it up to the preexisting wire and add the appropriate fuse. I am real happy with the setup.
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Checkride, your close.. I usually run a fused 12 volt + wire from the converter to the relay terminal 30 and run a jumper from it to 86, 87 goes to the horn +, 85 goes to one terminal of the horn switch, the other goes to ground and the horn - . Just my 2 cents and I think it saves some wire..
Thanks kgsc. That's exactly what I will do. You would think with all the electronics I have I could wire up a horn. Actually, my electrician died last year and I'm lost when it comes to electronics. Thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2023.jpg (447.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerj7907 View Post
I have an inverter on my cart as well. Just for good measure I added a 10 fuse panel on the 12volt output of my inverter. That keeps me from having all these individual fuses in lines throughout the cart. When I add an accessory I just have to hook it up to the preexisting wire and add the appropriate fuse. I am real happy with the setup.
Jer, That's a good suggestion. I have everything switched and pop breakers on every switch. I have a distribution strip for 12v positive and another for ground under the hood. I didn't want to pull my front rack and front body to get to it. I'll do the inline until next time I do pull it. Thanks again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO