lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
jawgadawg
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G14 A charging issues

Cart has been running the battery down so I checked the battery with my meter and the voltage drops when you start and then goes back to 12.5 volts running but no higher. I have a new VR installed but still the same. I took the Starter/Generator out and did a resistants test on the red and green wire that should read 5 ohms but I get zero. Is this because the generator part of the unit is bad? Brushes look good and shiny.
Thanks for your help.
jawgadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: G14 A charging issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawgadawg View Post
Cart has been running the battery down so I checked the battery with my meter and the voltage drops when you start and then goes back to 12.5 volts running but no higher. I have a new VR installed but still the same. I took the Starter/Generator out and did a resistants test on the red and green wire that should read 5 ohms but I get zero. Is this because the generator part of the unit is bad? Brushes look good and shiny.
Thanks for your help.
The ohms reading indicates the charging coils in the feild are bad, that doesn't happen very often, can you try anothe meter before you buy a feild assy or new starter?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
jawgadawg
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It's a digital Fluke meter and I tested the leads by touching them together. I will see if I can borrow another meter.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawgadawg View Post
It's a digital Fluke meter and I tested the leads by touching them together. I will see if I can borrow another meter.
Fluke is the best, just want to make shure, if you know what I mean.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
jawgadawg
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have already replaced the brushes once. I think I'll go with a new unit and be done with it.......for awhile anyway. Thanks for your help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha