lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
firefighter696
Not Yet Wild

Default Charging issues

I have a 97 Club Car DS 48V. Lately when I plug it up to charge the charger will not come on. If I bypass the OBC for a little while and then plug it in the charger comes on, goes off, then comes back on which is correct. I did this last night and this morning after 13 hrs it was still running with charger reading 3amps. I could here the batteries boiling. I checked voltage on charge @ 53.5.

My batteries are stamped May 2004. Is it worth my time to check these and the OBC or buy new batteries and go from there?

New batteries are $$$$ but I hate to waste time testing if this is the problem.
firefighter696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
ajbrown
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Charging issues

Sounds like what I am dealing with. Well your pack voltage is even worse. Check this thread:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...t-shutoff.html
ajbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
firefighter696
Not Yet Wild

I see on another post that charger will not come on if voltage less than 37volts. Mine will not come on when the pack reads 44 volts. If I bypass OBC and then do it everything works.
firefighter696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

your OBC might be going bad thats why it works after the by-pass.....its normal for it to sit at 3 amps for some time if batteries have not beed being charged right and if OBC is going bad thats possible.......noise is ok as long as nothing is real hot and not spilling acid all over the place.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
TDAWG
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter696 View Post
I have a 97 Club Car DS 48V. Lately when I plug it up to charge the charger will not come on. If I bypass the OBC for a little while and then plug it in the charger comes on, goes off, then comes back on which is correct. I did this last night and this morning after 13 hrs it was still running with charger reading 3amps. I could here the batteries boiling. I checked voltage on charge @ 53.5.

My batteries are stamped May 2004. Is it worth my time to check these and the OBC or buy new batteries and go from there?

New batteries are $$$$ but I hate to waste time testing if this is the problem.
3 amps on charger, and 53.5 on-charge voltage is a red flag right there. A red flag waving at your batteries. With a good set of batteries, and charger is down to 3 amps, you should have around 60 volts on charge voltage.
TDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

david if cart isn,t being charged right that could also effect what voltage reading your getting right?.....even with good batteries.......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car