lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Heat sinks.

I am curious about the controller heat sinks. What do you think would work better, the original one ( Curtis 1206 ) or one made from ½" plate aluminum? The original, although finned, is quite thin. I need to replace the original ( very corroded ) anyway, so I just thought I'd throw this out there! Thanks!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
andy.
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thinner with the most surface area will dissipate the most heat. Think radiator.

Andy
andy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Heat sinks.

You can buy a brand new onefrom ezgo dirt cheap.
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltf1991 View Post
You can buy a brand new onefrom ezgo dirt cheap.
Hey Colt, what's the P/N and price? Throw out a link for these guys..
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
Renegade800
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

FAB IT UP!!!....USE 1/8 - 3/16 PLATE.
Renegade800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:40 PM   #6
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

corroded? is it anodized?

if its not anodized, spray a etching aluminum cleaner on it. you might have to use a brush or a scouring pad.

aluminum corrosion isn't like rust. rarely, if ever, is it bad enough that a part like a heat sink would need replacing.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
corroded? is it anodized?

if its not anodized, spray a etching aluminum cleaner on it. you might have to use a brush or a scouring pad.

aluminum corrosion isn't like rust. rarely, if ever, is it bad enough that a part like a heat sink would need replacing.
-sj
This is the original heat sink for the 1206 controller. These carts I have have been used on the beach. You can't comprehend what some of the components look like! My industrial cart isn't bad, but the parts cart is so rusted the frame is broken in half! Anyway, the surface of the heat sink is covered with a white, rough, powdery substance. I'll try your suggestion as there are no holes rotted through it. What are you recommending as " an etching cleaner "? I do have thermal paste to use to fill in the pits when I'm done!
Old 09-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

sm, parts are 73471G01 or 74014G02P at http://www.shopezgo.com/catalog/Part...ler-Components. May want to check with your local dealer, mine just threw out like 100 or so after upgrading a bunch of carts to the bigger controllers.. may want to check with one of the sponsors also..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
This is the original heat sink for the 1206 controller. These carts I have have been used on the beach. You can't comprehend what some of the components look like! My industrial cart isn't bad, but the parts cart is so rusted the frame is broken in half! Anyway, the surface of the heat sink is covered with a white, rough, powdery substance. I'll try your suggestion as there are no holes rotted through it. What are you recommending as " an etching cleaner "? I do have thermal paste to use to fill in the pits when I'm done!
any acid based, etching aluminum brightener. usually, the more warnings on the the label, the better. look in the wheel care section at pep boys, wal-mart, etc.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks much, I'll give that a go first. The only thing else is I need to remove some broken bolts out of it. That part I'm pretty good with!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO