lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
toolman0114
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Horn Wiring Questions

I had an old Grant steering Wheel in my garage, I picked up and adapter, now I want to install a horn. Somebody told my to put the switch on the ground wire, I thought the hot wire should be the switched wire, which wire do I put the switch on?
Next, my steering wheel has a horn switch center cap, how do I run the wires down the steering column? or can I? my adadpte has a hole in it that could be used for this purpose. can the wires go down the column? or is there another way to run the wires while using the steering wheel button?
toolman0114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Horn Wiring Questions

Horns are usually activated with a horn relay that is activated by a grounding switch (horn button) the button contacts the column to complete the ground to activate the relay., getting the wire up the column will take some work.

DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
jonequest
Gone Wild

Same question. I just installed a new billet wheel and column cover. I can get the wire up there but I need the rotating spring loaded contact pin on the column side and the copper disk for the wheel side. Is this available for an EZGO? I also want to retain the all billet style I now have. I am brainstorming and had a flash....
What about rigging up a wireless doorbell switch (transmitter) to the horn button and have it transmit to the doorbell receiver that you simply have triggering a relay for a car horn. Or if you are gay you could leave it with the doorbell sound. But in theory it would solve the whole wire down the column thing and the batteries in those doorbell buttons last a good year or so.
jonequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Try this link these should work and Jegs will give you as much info as possible.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
jonequest
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Try this link these should work and Jegs will give you as much info as possible.

I have the button. I need the electrical part with the spring loaded contact to column. I could not find it on that site.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Call Jegs because I think you have a incomplete kit.
All the stuff switch wise should be in the button kit.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
jonequest
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Call Jegs because I think you have a incomplete kit.
All the stuff switch wise should be in the button kit.
I have a button with the two connectors to hook to the two wires. One usually grounds in the wheel to a bolt and the other one connects to a copper disk that makes contact with a spring loaded contact on the column side. I don't see a way that this will work in a normal golf cart since there essentially is no column shroud to put it in. That 's why I am leaning towards the transmitter/reciever rig. I now have everything billet aluminum so even if there was a chunky add on to my column giving me room for a contact it would likely be black plastic anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg billet wheel.JPG (225.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 10-06-2021, 10:46 AM   #8
ahsays
Not Yet Wild

I'm in the same boat here. I bought a 2 wire slip ring and drilled a hole through the steering wheel adapter. I can get the wires through them, but can't get the spinning part to fit in the space of the horn cavity.
ahsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:19 AM   #9
jonequest
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsays View Post
I'm in the same boat here. I bought a 2 wire slip ring and drilled a hole through the steering wheel adapter. I can get the wires through them, but can't get the spinning part to fit in the space of the horn cavity.
This is an old thread of mine and I sold my cart but look for some of my other threads. I may have explained what I did better and with photos. I got a cheap remote and relay combo from ebay. The remote looks like a car alarm remote and it transmits to the relay to open or close a switch either latching or momentary. You want to set it for momentary like a horn button, only on when holding the button. Then you wire the relay to power and your horn or siren. I used an old car alarm siren since it draws less amps. Now you can push an alarm remote to transmit to the relay box in your dash and sound the "horn/siren". Next what you do is open the case of that little remote. Solder 2 little wires from the remote button contacts and connect them to your big steering wheel horn button. when you press the horn button it transmits to sound your horn/siren. Then wrap that up in electrical tape (heatshrink is better), and put it inside the hollow space in the wheel behind the horn button. You now have a wireless horn button.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:02 PM   #10
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

On my factory wired horn (2112 txt) the horn switch only serves to complete the 12 volt convertors ground circuit.
The positive on the horn ,not horn button is connected to a positive fussed wire to the 12 volt fuse bus directly to the horn.
Negative side of horn connected to switch(horn button.) runs from negative side of reducer to one side of switch(horn button)to negative side/terminal on horn.
When you press horn button(switch) it completes circuit(ground connection) and completes 12 volt circuit thru horn to make it sound horn.
No relays involved.
Switched wire is ground wire off 12 volt reducer.

Wire the positive 12 volt wire from reducer to horns + terminal.
Connect wire from horns - / negative terminal to both sides of steering wheel horn button back to reducers negative wire.
Download wire diagram from stickies on this site. Might help better explain.

12 volt accessories are switched via ground ,negative wire.
Positive wire from fused 12 volt from reducer side to positive/+ side of reducer.
Completing ground connection , via switch completes electrical curcuit.

Think of 12 volt systems as a loop. In case of golf cart 12 volt reducers accessories need to have their loop circuit closed to flow from negative to positive.

Hth 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO