lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2019, 06:11 PM   #1
Rmiller863
Getting Wild

Default 2006 key start cart idles, but not going when press gas

I got this cart not running. The key start idles the starter/generator, but when I press the gas nothing happens. I checked the coil and do have spark. I'm getting fuel, checked that also. I cut the brown wire going to the rev limiter. I know that can cause issues. I switched the micro switch in the electrical box and the box with the 6 wires going to it next to the micro switch above the voltage regulator. Its got a new battery. I'm not sure what to check next. Any suggestions. Thanks
Rmiller863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2019, 06:33 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2006 key start cart idles, but not going when press gas

So the starter spins it, but it doesn't actually run. You say you've got spark & fuel, what's the compression?
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:21 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

A coil can fail and give one or two sparks but it will go weak after that. Do you have consistent bright blue spark? If it looks yellowish or is barely noticeable it may not be enough to get the cart to fire. Put a spare spark plug in the plug wire and make sure it’s making a bright consistent spark every time the motor turns over. Crank it for 5 seconds or more and make sure the spark is not tapering off.

Fuel can get to the carb but if the vent is clogged it may not get enough into the bowl to run properly. Could also have a clogged main jet not allowing fuel through the carb. Will it run on starting fluid? If yes, fuel delivery problem. If no, spark or possibly compression problem.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:57 AM   #4
Rmiller863
Getting Wild

I'm not sure the compression. It has resistance when I spin the wheel by hand. I did spray starting fluid and it still didn't go. The spark looks good, It seems to be consistent. How else could I check compression without a compression tool ?
Old 05-22-2019, 06:16 AM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

You could easily have "some" compression, but not "enough". A proper compression tester can be borrowed (with a refundable deposit) from many of the auto parts chain stores. Otherwise you're just guessing. Ideally you're looking for close to 150 psi and anything under about 90 psi won't be enough for the engine to run. Since the engine didn't run when you got it, there is a fair chance it's got mechanical issues. If it was something simple the seller probably would have already fixed it - to sell it for a higher price.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:26 PM   #6
Rmiller863
Getting Wild

Plenty of compression.

The micro switch I changed under in the electrical box had a zip tie around it to keep it compressed. When I put in the new micro switch the starter generator ran until I pressed the gas. As soon as I pressed the gas it shut off. I put a zip tie back on the micro switch and it will stay running(S/G) . Might this have something to do with it? Also switched back and forth from maintenance mode and safety mode. Either way didn't make a difference.

I did notice under the seat micro switch only had a brown and red wire going to it. There's an open slot to plug something else in. I didn't see any wires cut or appear to be missing. Only one of the wires was plugged in on that switch. I don't know which wire goes on which slot.

Any more help on these issues? Hopefully one of them will be the problem. Thanks
Old 05-23-2019, 07:20 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

There’s a red, brown, and orange wire that go to the rear switch on the shift lever. (Some May not have the orange wire maybe)
I forget which order they’re supposed to be on the switch, but if you jump the red and brown together it bypasses the switch and keeps the relay active until you turn the key off.
The shift lever switch opens the relay coil if the lever is in neutral and you hit the gas pedal, which stops the starter gen and grounds the kill circuit.

This switch has failed on both of my key start carts and can cause the problem you describe.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:56 AM   #8
Rmiller863
Getting Wild

That didn't change anything. There is a small jumper wire that goes to and from the small posts on the solenoid. Appears to have a small fuse in between. Some carts have these and some don't. Whats that for and could it be the issue?
Old 05-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #9
Rmiller863
Getting Wild

I tried spraying starting fluid in the carb, took off air hose and sprayed it in. It still didnt do anything. If the main jet is clogged would the starting fluid have started it? I ask because when I took the carb off, it was completely dry where I thought gas would have been going through. I am out of carb cleaner at the moment but hoping the jet is clogged and not letting fuel through.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Should have done at least a couple sputters on starting fluid. Did you put a spare spark plug in the plug wire and check to see if you have consistent spark?

Quick way you can see if fuel is at least getting into the carb is to cover the inlet for a second with your hand while it’s cranking. If your hand gets wet, you’re at least getting SOME fuel into the carb.

The jumper between the smal posts on th solenoid should be a suppression diode to prevent voltage spikes in the coil circuit when the coil magnetic field collapses (when power to the coil is cut). If the diode fails it can cause the micro switches to arc internally and damage them.
It needs to be there and needs to function properly. You can remove it and test it with a diode check function of a multimeter. Be sure to note the orientation of the diode so it can be replaced in the same direction becauses it’s polarity is very important.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car