lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2019, 12:48 AM   #1
Gabep91
Not Yet Wild

Default 1994 club car ds turning but won’t start

Hello all,
I am new to this forum but I have recently gotten a 1994 gas club car ds. The engine keeps turning but won’t start. So far I have replaced the spark plug, got a new fuel pump, and took apart and cleaned the carb. I have read most of the posts and can’t really find anything that relates to my issue. I hear a clicking so I think the solenoid is good. Although I did take off the air intake and sprayed a little throttle body cleaner in there and tried starting it and it finally kicked over but only for a few seconds before returning to its tuning only state. I think it might be a fuel related issue but still unsure. I would appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks I’m advance
Gabep91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2019, 12:51 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 1994 club car ds turning but won’t start

Are you getting fire?

to BGW
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:01 AM   #3
Gabep91
Not Yet Wild

Excuse my ignorance with golf carts but my fire do you mean like cranking over and starting? If so, no. I can see the belt turns and it just keep turning like it wants to fire up but it won’t, choke doesn’t do much just a constant cranking noise
Old 06-13-2019, 01:06 AM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

If the engine is turning the solenoid is good. You need to determine if you are getting "fire" (spark) and fuel to the motor.

Won't run without either.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:10 AM   #5
Gabep91
Not Yet Wild

Well I did buy a new spark plug although I did test it and didn’t exactly see a constant arc maybe just need to adjust the gap on it? But I did take the fuel line off and try to start it and some gas was dribbling out of the line as I tried to start it
Old 06-13-2019, 07:14 AM   #6
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

take spark plug out and lay it on the head. turn the motor over and see if you get consistent spark first. someone with more knowledge will be able to tell you what it means if you have intermittent orweak spark but you should get consistent blue spark with a new plug. if you have that and its not starting then you're not getting fuel
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:41 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabep91 View Post
Well I did buy a new spark plug although I did test it and didn’t exactly see a constant arc maybe just need to adjust the gap on it? But I did take the fuel line off and try to start it and some gas was dribbling out of the line as I tried to start it
Like NWO said, you should be getting a consistent bright blue spark. If it looks weak, yellowish color, or comes and goes, there's a problem with the rev limiter, coil, or igniter.

Rev limiter is the black box on the front center of the motor just above the oil drain. Disconnect the brown wire that's attached to the rev limiter mounting bracket and cover it with tape so it can't ground. Crank the engine and check spark, see if anything changes. Good spark now? Rev limiter is failing.

Still weak or no spark, find the White wire with black stripe that runs down the belt side of the engine. Unplug it at the connector where it joins the black wire from the rev limiter box. Recheck spark, if you now have good spark there is an issue with the kill circuit.

If still weak or no spark, check the igniter with an ohmeter. The igniter is mounted behind the rev limiter bracket, remove the bracket and unplug the black wire from the igniter. With black meter probe on the outer case, and the red meter probe on the spade terminal, you should see 2-6 ohms resistance. If resistance is outside of that replace the igniter.

To test the ignition coil use an ohmeter set to its lowest range, Check the primary coil resistance by using the single SMALL black wire from the coil. This sticks out of the lower air shroud and connects to the black wires behind the rev limiter.
Primary coil: With the Red meter probe on a clean part of the engine, and the Black meter probe in the terminal of the small black wire from the coil, check for 0.6 to 1.4 Ohms resistance.

Secondary coil: Now set the Ohmeter to 20K ohm range. Place the Black meter probe on the engine, insert the Red meter probe into the end of the spark plug boot and touch the metal terminal in the boot.
You should get from 6 to 11 K ohms resistance.
If either coil measures out of range replace the ignition coil.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #8
Gabep91
Not Yet Wild

Thank you, that will be the first thing I comb through to make sure it’s all working but may I ask why the cart started running when I sprayed throttle body cleaner into it? That’s what made me think the fuel was the issue
Old 06-13-2019, 12:03 PM   #9
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabep91 View Post
Thank you, that will be the first thing I comb through to make sure it’s all working but may I ask why the cart started running when I sprayed throttle body cleaner into it? That’s what made me think the fuel was the issue
Because you are getting spark at your plug but no fuel from the carb.
Remove the fuel line from your carb and put it in a bottle,push pedal to spin motor, if fuel goes in bottle then you have a carb issue.
if no fuel goes into bottle then you have a pumping issue.
I say pumping instead of pump because pump can still be good.
Put a little air pressure in the fuel tank to get fuel out of the fuel line at bottle, sometimes the pump gets dry and will not "draw" fuel.
After fuel comes out spin motor again to see if fuel goes in bottle now. If it does, reattach to carb and try it again giving it time to fill carb bowl.
If not, Check the pulse line from the engine block to the fuel pump for cracks.
keep us posted.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1994 club car ds
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car