lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #1
tylerjohnson3
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Weird Short through brake cables - no go fwd/bkwd

So my battery is charged, the solenoid is clicking, but the passenger side brake cable is getting hot as crap and smoking. So there is a short somewhere but not sure where or how to figure it out? Or what the cause is? there is nothing broke or touching the cables. Any help would be great! replaced the generator about 3 months ago, and new belts as well.

Another note, after the motor would get hot, the cart would act like it wanted to go into reverese when i let off the pedal, and then finally die. Thanks guys.

Tyler
tylerjohnson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Weird Short through brake cables - no go fwd/bkwd

Could be a couple things.
What year and which body cart?
DS? Precedent?

If it only happens when the solenoid is engaged I would be looking at the cable from the solenoid to the starter. The insulation may have rubbed through and the cable is touching the starter case.

Second thing is you may have a bad ground connection or no ground cable from the engine to the frame.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #3
tylerjohnson3
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sweet good thoughts, and it is a 1998 ds.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:27 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Check the white cable that runs up to the starter. Make sure it's not rubbing against the starter case. Also check the bottom left corner of the engine cradle. The wire harness with the large white cable should be attached to the cradle with a zip tie there. Make sure the cable hasn't rubbed through of been pinched against the cradle.

Pretty sure on 98 there should be a ground cable from the Starter straight to the frame cross member just above the starter.
There should also be a ground cable from the mounting stud next to the oil filler tube to the cart frame. If either of those are missing or damaged they should be replaced.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #5
tylerjohnson3
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

ok so the ground from the engine to the frame is completely gone and the other ground from the starter is pretty rusty, will have to clean them up and add a new one from the motor to frame
Old 06-09-2019, 09:02 PM   #6
tylerjohnson3
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Alright so i replaced the short from the motor (by dipstick), to the frame, and it is shorting fast through that. I seen a spark inside the starter/generator, but that is it. Any ideas? Starter/generator bad?
Old 06-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If no obvious wire damage then there is a problem inside the SG. Remove it and take the brush covers off and see what it looks like inside.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #8
tylerjohnson3
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So looks like the inside of the generator is fried, metled stuff falling out and crap Ay ideas to how that happened? i did buy a cheaper one a couple months ago. Also is there a good one to get to replace it?
Old 06-10-2019, 01:40 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

What brand, and where did you buy it?
Is there a sticker on the side that says “Dynamo” on it?

There are lots of aftermarket starter available but it’s too difficult to tell which ones are good and which are crap. Most of them we just assume to be crap because this is an all too common occurance.

Buy a genuine OEM starter generator from David at Revolution Golf Cars. Give him a call and he’ll make sure you get the correct one for your cart.

Any chance you still have the original? Those are usually rebuildable and will work fine again for many years.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:31 PM   #10
tylerjohnson3
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

i do not hav the original *** it was already gone when i bought the cart, and yes it has dynamo on it
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car