lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default The tale of 2 brakes, Rxv brakes

In the first installment, I will cover the current version of the "standard duty brake", used on all earlier Rxv models. This brake is compatible with all Rxv versions, and is the only version compatible with 2012 and prior "Danaher Rxv" models. This is the brake that originally had the lever on the side (but the lever has been gone for many years). Note it's integrated plug with no wires, and it's "molded in" hub in the middle of the disc. Its current part number is 610065.

This is a genuine Ezgo part, directly from them. I will not be covering anything aftermarket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180823_091712227.jpg (151.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180823_091806794.jpg (154.4 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
cgtech

Yamaha

Default Re: The tale of 2 brakes, Rxv brakes

In the second installment, I will cover the Ezgo "HD motor brake".
It is the current brake I find used on all new production RXVs. It can be identified by it's thicker housing, it's remote plug with 2 wires, its integrated o-ring, and it's removable center hub. It also features a thicker disc than the standard brake. This brake is only compatible with 2012.5 and newer "Curtis RXVs". I can't say i feel it's "leaps and bounds better than the previous brake", but it sure isn't worse.

It is a genuine EZGO part, and it's current part number is 617766.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180823_091819992.jpg (145.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180823_091749446.jpg (137.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-28-2019, 01:34 AM   #3
DodgyWodger
Not Yet Wild

Hey gctech, was advised earlier today by Augusta golf cars that this HD brake is applicable to all RXV from 2009 up. Have you heard anything different? Looking at updating a fleet of 20 carts to the HD brake.
DodgyWodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:09 AM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

HD brake on 2012.5 and newer rxv with Curtis controller only. Never on earlier RXVs, it won't work long, and can damage the controller.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:25 AM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

Also, it is now sold by Ezgo under the "pro-fit" label. It can still be identified by it's OEM part number on the barcode sticker on the brake housing.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Thanks for the great info!
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:34 PM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

The HD brake in your second post is part number 617766 correct?

Seems to be the best on any generation RXV, be it early Danahar or Curtis. The one in your first post seems to fail more often in our experience, often spectacularly with explosion/destruction of friction disc. When we get one with a handle still on it we always replace it, and replace any solenoid that is the original smaller hard wired one.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:22 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
The HD brake in your second post is part number 617766 correct?

Seems to be the best on any generation RXV, be it early Danahar or Curtis. The one in your first post seems to fail more often in our experience, often spectacularly with explosion/destruction of friction disc. When we get one with a handle still on it we always replace it, and replace any solenoid that is the original smaller hard wired one.
I can't condone putting new HD brake on Danaher rxv, I have had far too much trouble doing so. (Back in 3 weeks in my experience, my experience may not match yours). Also, Bob says he has seen it damage Danaher controllers.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:38 PM   #9
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I've been working on golf cars since 2008. I remember when the RXV was the 'next big thing in golf carts'

The last three brakes we replaced were the one like your first post--we used to carry them. Two exploded the friction discs, the third the gear portion stripped and was spinning inside the disc. At least it don't throw you off when it fails!

The one in the second post is the most reliable one I've dealt with. Hardly ever fails unless someone tightens one too much. Or runs car with less than ~20% SoC on the batteries.

NEVER seen one cook a controller--yet. Cook brake? sure. What seems to EOL a RXV controller is often the customer hacking into the key switch wiring to install some custom volt meter or radio or cuts off the backup beeper.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:40 PM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

Well, then I've only got you beat by 1 year.

The was intended to be an information thread, not a debate.

Tags
brake, motor, rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO