lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2017, 02:25 PM   #1
GAHR
Not Yet Wild

Default Powerdrive Charger (#17930) Issue(s)

I have a Powerdrive Charger (#17930) that is having issues. The charger stopped working and after going though some troubleshooting it appeared I had a bad relay, so I replaced that.

Now when I plug in the charger, the new relay clicks, the transformer begins humming and it charges for a few seconds, then the charger's circuit breaker trips. I looked through a bunch of older threads, most of which suggest that this is a common problem usually solved by replacing the charger's heatsink (#1015914).

However, I tested the heatsink diodes with a multimeter (found an online explanation for testing diodes generally) and, assuming I'm doing it correctly, the diodes appear to be fine - in both the Diode test mode and the Resistance test mode.

Wondering if someone could tell me what readings I should be getting on a multimeter from a new/working heatsink (#1015914) so I can determine if indeed I need to order a new one?

If the heatsink is still functioning, then I guess I may just have a bad circuit breaker instead? If so, would you suggest bypassing the circuit breaker to test?

Should also mention that battery pack does currently have a low charge (approx. 40v). Could that be the problem instead of an issue with the charger?

Thanks in advance for any help!
GAHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2017, 06:07 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Powerdrive Charger (#17930) Issue(s)

Be sure you have read this thread http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...eshooting.html

Then be sure you have pulled and reseated each connection between the breaker and all the wiring points. Have had this happen twice before and it was only a connection causing the trips....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
GAHR
Not Yet Wild

Thanks NoleFan4Ever. I went through the troubleshooting thread and all steps before but will run through everything again. Will also try reseating all the connections. Hopefully that will work.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:29 AM   #4
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHR View Post
Should also mention that battery pack does currently have a low charge (approx. 40v). Could that be the problem instead of an issue with the charger?
Disclaimer: The following advice is for 8V golf cart batteries (48V pack) and the user operates at his own risk.

You can bypass the voltage sensor on the charger so that the charger will start charging no matter what the pack voltage is. ...BUT this means that the charger will not turn off so it is used only for testing the charger or for lifting the voltage enough so that the restored charger will operate normally. If you do this you must keep a check on the charge and stop it manually before the pack goes over 60V while charging. In fact, you won't need to go near 60V just to get enough for the charger to work normally.

Another solution is to charge two batteries at a time with a 12V car charger to lift the voltage of each battery in the pack enough that the pack voltage is high enough for the charger to recognise it. You can do one at a time but there is a strong risk of boiling and overheating, so it is safer to do two at once.

Yet another solution is to use a float charger, if you have one, e.g. a 48V Save a Battery to raise the voltage enough for the PowerDrive charger to operate normally.

The bypass solution is shown in this diagram:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TESTING PICTURE.jpg (232.6 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:01 AM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I have a Powerdrive Charger (#17930) that is having issues. The charger stopped working and after going though some troubleshooting it appeared I had a bad relay, so I replaced that.

Now when I plug in the charger, the new relay clicks, the transformer begins humming and it charges for a few seconds, then the charger's circuit breaker trips. I looked through a bunch of older threads, most of which suggest that this is a common problem usually solved by replacing the charger's heatsink (#1015914).

However, I tested the heatsink diodes with a multimeter (found an online explanation for testing diodes generally) and, assuming I'm doing it correctly, the diodes appear to be fine - in both the Diode test mode and the Resistance test mode.

Wondering if someone could tell me what readings I should be getting on a multimeter from a new/working heatsink (#1015914) so I can determine if indeed I need to order a new one?

If the heatsink is still functioning, then I guess I may just have a bad circuit breaker instead? If so, would you suggest bypassing the circuit breaker to test?

You could indeed have a weak circuit breaker, using the pic supplied by yawood replace with a 15 amp fuse and test again...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:48 PM   #6
GAHR
Not Yet Wild

Okay, so I pulled and reseated all of the connections as suggested by NolesFan4Ever and still have the same problem. The charger comes on, runs for about 5 - 8 seconds (varies), then the circuit breaker trips. After about 10-15 seconds, the breaker can be reset.

So I tried resetting the breaker a number of times to see if eventually I could get the charger to work - but no joy there. Sometimes it runs a second or two longer, but always trips the breaker.

When the charger first comes on the needle on the ammeter goes way to the right - above 20 amps, then the needle shakes a bit as it falls to around 10 amps, before the breaker trips. Once or twice it made it all the way down to 0, apparently completing the startup test phase, but when it attempted to power back up the breaker tripped.

I next tried the circuit breaker "bypass", as suggested by teecro, using some 15 amp/12v DC auto fuses. The first 15 amp fuse blew as soon as I plugged the charging cord into the cart (AC cord was already plugged in to the outlet).

Plugging in only the AC cord to the outlet (without plugging in the charging cord to the cart) or plugging in only the charging cord to the cart (without plugging the AC cord into the outlet) does not blow the fuse. The fuse only blows when both cords are plugged in and the charger starts working.

I did not try the full circuit breaker bypass suggested by yawood since the auto fuses blew. I wasn't sure if I should risk causing some other damage to the charger or the cart if I fully bypassed the breaker with no fuse protection - since I've obviously got a problem somewhere.

I did, however, try a 20 amp/12v DC auto plug and it lasts maybe a second or two longer before blowing. However, none of the fuses lasted anywhere nearly as long as the circuit breaker did (1-2 seconds for fuses vs. 5-8 seconds for circuit breaker). Could these auto fuses be blowing simply due to the fact that the auto fuses can't handle the 120v current on the AC side of the transformer once it starts charging??

I suppose it's still possible that my heatsink is bad even though I'm getting "good" readings for it on my multimeter??? I'm not trying to avoid buying a new one if that's what I need - just don't understand why it would seemingly test fine on the multimeter if it was actually bad and don't want to waste money on a replacement only to find that's not the problem. Thoughts??

Oh, to yawood's disclaimer - yes, the cart does have a 48v battery pack (six 8v batteries).

The repeated charging attempts now have the battery pack up to around 45 volts though . . . . so some small progress . . . .
Old 11-27-2017, 05:23 PM   #7
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

It sounds to me from just reading the last few post, that you have a battery with a dead short.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:37 PM   #8
FZ0niner
Getting Wild

Did this ever get resolved? I'm having a similar issue. Except, my charger runs for about 2min before the breaker pops.

I'll be starting a new thread
FZ0niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:

If the heatsink was the problem it would be obvious on the multimeter test. Also, keep in mind that a blown heatsink diode will cause the breaker to pop within a few seconds of charging. If your breaker pops after a few minutes it's for one of two reasons. Reason 1 being that the spring in the breaker is weak. Replace the breaker and try it. They are cheap. Reason 2 is that the breaker is doing it's job. If the charger exceeds its maximum amp draw, the breaker pops. If the charger is overworking, it could be due to bad batteries or a bad transformer in the charger. A tripped breaker doesn't always mean a bad breaker, but it's a cheap enough experiment for most.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #10
FZ0niner
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
If the heatsink was the problem it would be obvious on the multimeter test. Also, keep in mind that a blown heatsink diode will cause the breaker to pop within a few seconds of charging. If your breaker pops after a few minutes it's for one of two reasons. Reason 1 being that the spring in the breaker is weak. Replace the breaker and try it. They are cheap. Reason 2 is that the breaker is doing it's job. If the charger exceeds its maximum amp draw, the breaker pops. If the charger is overworking, it could be due to bad batteries or a bad transformer in the charger. A tripped breaker doesn't always mean a bad breaker, but it's a cheap enough experiment for most.
Interesting, not trying to jack this thread, I have my own going. I'm having a hard time getting any kind of reading from my transformer. Unable to determine if its bad or not. Looked at prices for a new one, looks just as expensive as a new charger.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-tripping.html
FZ0niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car