lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
catfish918
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Post Denso Alternator

Guys I ordered the Denso Alternator for my 670 engine swap, its my understanding the 670 has a 2 amp charging system on it. Is it going to damage anything to have 2 interposing charging systems on my cart. if I need to disable the charging system on the engine, how is this done? I'm sure someone has done all of this.
catfish918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Denso Alternator

If you ordered the 1 wire denso that wire goes right to the battery,simple.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:44 PM   #3
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Run one alternator. There's no reason to run the small one the engine if your adding an external unit.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #4
catfish918
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Wink Re: Denso Alternator

Yes I ordered the one wire unit. I just have to figure which wires are used for the charging circuit on the engine so I can disconnect them. Anybody have that information?
Old 03-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #5
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Are you sure of the output of your on-board alternator? I looked up the specs on the gx670 and it could have a 3-10-12 or 17-18 amp unit. Before you go to all the work to set up your one wire unit -- you should make sure you really need it. Remember - it takes hp to run your alt. Your alternator will require 2-5 horse power to run it.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:05 AM   #6
catfish918
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Guys I'm not sure of anything, I had just read some of the posts on this site and they indicated it was a 2 amp output. A lot of the posts indicate the charging system works for a short period and then fails or at least not enough to keep the battery charged. I was just acting based on other members problems, I realize that the other issues that other folks have may be due to something entirely different, I'm just looking for help. Oh this is the predator 670, the Harbor Freight engine.

*This Predator 670cc V-twin 4-stroke gasoline engine delivers more power in less space than similar displacement standard twins. The horizontal shaft is ball-bearing mounted, making this gas engine an ideal replacement for most standard engine configurations. The powerful v-twin gas engine features a durable cast iron cylinder making it the perfect replacement engine for: Mowers, water pumps, high pressure washers and dozens of other machines.
Compact v-twin design for more power in a smaller footprint
Durable cast iron cylinder withstands wear and abuse
Electric start
Fuel shut off for safe transport
For use on: Mowers, water pumps, high pressure washers, carpet cleaning truck mounts
12 volt battery not included
Note; unit only has a 2 amp charging system so it is best used for systems that can have either two batteries or hooked to a vehicle's battery that can remain charged. *Batteries are not included.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #7
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Sorry -- I thought we were talking a Honda gx670.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
catfish918
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey no worries, I'm just gathering the information and I would like to do it correctly the first time I hope. Any and all input is appreciated.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Must be a different one, I looked it up a while ago and it said 12A charging iirc or similar. It was more than 3A clones and less than the typical vtwin 18-20A. It shows three charge coils if same as clone that would be 9A charge, but funny how the manual and the site both do not state. I don't remember where I found that info before.

They do show a voltage regulator, so that means it is greater than 4A for sure. More than 4A will overcharge your battery and you must have a VR.

But if you are putting an alt on likely I would not use the stock charging unless you plan to run a lot of power all the time. I would look into a smaller pulley on the engine if you can choose, to slow down the alt, less power and it will still make full power at higher rpm. Again unless you intend to use a lot of power.

If you really want to you could put a switch on the engine 12v charge and turn it off/on if you needed. IIRC the breaker in the key box is where the charge goes to the 12v and battery. If the charge system fails that breaker will blow because the battery will put 12v to the system possibly shorting out the battery....instead of the charge system supplying 13.5v to the battery as in normal operation.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:47 PM   #10
catfish918
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The information I posted was from steambrite, they sell these engines. however that was all I found, where did you get your information. I need to look at a schematic so I understand what's going on.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!