lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2016, 11:21 PM   #1
Nmbr5
Not Yet Wild

Default Getting a bigger alternator

Hey Guys,

I have a 2003 Club Car GAS Limo Cart. I'm turning it into an art car. It will be a heavily illuminated steampunk space shuttle when we're down.

I've put 2 x 6v Deep Cycle interstates on board to power the sound and lighting but I want to tap into the alternator for charging.

Can any of you tell me what is the biggest alternator I could put on that model and point me to a source for one?

A few considerations, the cart will mostly be driven around 5mph and will sometimes sit for a few hours all it up and playing music. The batteries I have will last quite a while since the lighting is all LED but I just wanted to be clear that we will seldom get the RPMS up for any prolonged period of time.
Nmbr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Getting a bigger alternator

I think we need more information.
You've added two 6 volt batteries, in addition to the existing 12 volt battery? Or in place of it? A better description of what you are trying to do would help a lot. If you want a completely separate battery/charging system for the lights and sound, maybe a second alternator and charging circuit for a completely separate battery and charging system for the lights and sound separate from the cart engine ignition and starting system would be best, if there's enough room and motor power to handle it. A separate system would prevent you from running the original starting/ignition battery down too far to be able to start the engine.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
Nmbr5
Not Yet Wild

Hi Charley,

I'm running the two 6 volt batteries in serial to create a separate 12V system for the lights and sound. That's separate from the stock 12V battery for the engine. I will be installing a battery isolator relay to prevent the engine battery from getting drained by the other system.

I'm pretty sure the stock alternator provides a 35amp charge and I'm wondering if anyone here has experience installing a larger alternator to provide more charge. We expect to draw about 43 amps with the sound and light system and the engine won't always be running so we'd like to get more charge to keep the batteries topped up.
Nmbr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:52 PM   #4
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Using only one of the 6 volt batteries up and then charging the unused and the used batteries in series is going to over charge that unused battery, unless you come up with a way to use one first and then switch to the other to discharge them both about equal before recharging them, or maybe you could you split your loads into roughly 1/2 for each battery so they would both discharge at about the same rate. If not, you would be better off finding another way.

They make electronic voltage reducers for 12 v in and 6 v out, but I have no experience with them and don't know what they cost, but it might be worth looking into.

The alternators used on Cushmans, at least my 1987 Cushman Truckster is a GM type alternator with a built in voltage regulator and rectifier. The larger sizes don't look that much different, but the internals are rated for more current. Switching the original for a larger capacity version should be quite easy. My only concern would be the engine load of the bigger alternator. You don't have much extra horsepower to spare with 18 or 22 hp motors, so the larger alternator may be too much for the engine to turn while also moving the vehicle. I have the OMC 22 hp and it's barely adequate to move the truckster
without putting a larger alternator on it. I have no idea what engine or alternator is in your Club Car. I have no experience with Club Car, but I am a retired EE.

Maybe you should consider an auxiliary generator to power your light and sound show from 120 vac without relying on battery power at all. They are getting smaller and quieter. 43 amps at 12 volts is about 4.3 amps at 120 volts as far as total watts consumed is concerned.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, club car
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts