lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #1
raggdoll
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default removing the RPM limiter ground strap

So Im trying to understand these "sticky" directions and want to go directly to the last step first, but where in the heck is the RPM limiter ground strap?

Pictures would be awesome! Thanks in advance!!!

So you want your Club Car to get up and go? You've come to the right post.

First off, you must realize you're ultimately hurting your cart by doing this! You're also risking hurting yourself.

Under the driver side floorpan, you will see a rod linking the gas pedal to the black box pivot. Remove this rod and lengthen it to the longest it will go without being wobbly. Make sure the spring actuated hold downs are back in the same position they came off in. Before you replace this, loosen the nyloc nut on the accelerator pedal return spring until there are only about 1/4" of visible threads left on the end of the rod. Replace the accelerator rod.

On the primary accelerator cable, there is a spring between it and the governor arm on the transaxle. Gather at least 3 zip ties of around 4" length. Put 3 on the spring in equally spaced increments. Have a friend hold the gas pedal to the floor in maintenance mode. Tighten each zip tie equally until the engine shuts down. You have two options at this point: either cut the zip ties and put new ones on SLIGHTLY looser, or put a small amount of cable back into the black box. You can also remove the ground strap from the RPM limiter assembly and tighten the zip ties all the way down, but this would take your engine into the "danger zone" RPMs.

Do you have a real need for speed?

If so, do not do any of the steps aforementioned EXCEPT removing the RPM limiter ground strap! Remove your access panel on the rear body. On the governor arm atop the transaxle, there is a clamping device that holds the arm tight to the shaft coming out of the transaxle. Loosen the 11mm nut on that about 3 turns. Spray a SMALL AMOUNT of WD-40 directly around the shaft and ensure the arm moves freely. Now you have successfully, completely bypassed your governor. Now, BUY A TACHOMETER!!!
raggdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2019, 01:58 PM   #2
raggdoll
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: removing the RPM limiter ground strap

Anyone?
Old 06-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #3
BearsFan315
Gone Wild

Yamaha

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...v-limiter.html
BearsFan315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The RPM limiter is the black box, mounted front center of the engine. The ground Wire (it’s not really a strap so dunno why the called it that) is the brown wire with an eyelet connector that’s bolted to the mounting bracket for the limiter.

Unbolt it, or cut it, and tape it off so it can’t touch anything metal.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
raggdoll
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsFan315 View Post
Now that's what I'm talking about, THANKS!
Old 06-16-2019, 08:34 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Make sure you have a tach before you do it, or run it easy until you get a tach. It would be very easy to over-rev it and then you've got a broken engine
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:20 AM   #7
raggdoll
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Make sure you have a tach before you do it, or run it easy until you get a tach. It would be very easy to over-rev it and then you've got a broken engine
Is there a safer way to get 20mph ?
Old 06-17-2019, 06:49 AM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggdoll View Post
Is there a safer way to get 20mph ?
Bigger engine, bigger tires (with a lift to clear them). If the rest of the cart is stock, 20 mph is asking a lot of rpm from that little FE290.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:33 AM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Lift and tires is the safest way for the motor.

You should be able to play with the accelerator rod, zip ties on the governor spring, and adjust the cables at the limit switches, but be warned, it's a tedious process getting everything adjusted just right so you will get as much as you can out of the trans governor, without hitting the rev limiter. Takes a lot of "little adjustment... test drive. Little adjustment... test drive. Little adjustment... test drive" but you should be able to get ti high teens without disabling the rev limiter. Just know that revving it to the moon will wear the engine faster.

Bigger tires is the cheapest way to go reliably. I can cruise 20-21mph with no adjustments to my governor or rev limiternon 25" tires. I dont particularly like/care to go that fast, but I like to be able to cruise at 12-14mph with the engine basically idling happy and quietly. I have no need for speed... but my main purpose if lift was to stop bottoming out on my road and driving down my driveway is pretty bumpy.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:04 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

And bigger engine isn't necessarily the answer to speed. a FE350 is quite a bit stronger than a FE290 but doesn't "go" any faster, they're both still limited by RPM. The 350 will just get there quicker and have a lot more torque.

Bigger engine (built VC460 for example) that's built to rev higher without floating valves or coming apart will add speed due to RPM increases.

Biggest advantage of a bigger engine is torque. Bigger engine has more torque down low, which when paired with high speed gears, is the best answer to speed. but it'll cost you
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car